Alternator fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator fun

So I've had a bit of a problem with my alternator belt squeeling around 4k occassionally, so I took it out today to replace the bushings with some urethane pieces since the belt wasn't lined up straight.

Here's what all four bushings looked like as they came out of the car:

Also, anyone think this adjuster arm might cause me some problems?

Most of the nuts and bolts were pretty chewed up, so I'm just going to replace everything while I'm in there. Also, due to whoever last worked on the alternator not using washers between the electrical connections and the nuts, I managed to break two of the connectors off the wire since they had fused to the back of the nut. Everything has to be a PITA, doesn't it.

Looks like I have to wait for the dealership to open monday.

Typical damage, bro. My "adjuster arm" was broken in the same place. Hopefully some enterprising shop has a spline-reinforced version in the works (hint hint).
    The bushings can be a PITA to push in. A selection of large c-clamps, grade 8 washers, and white lithium grease made the task easier.

Comment

where to buy?

Do you have to go to the dealer to get the new bushings?
      '88 M3 (E30) -- sold b/c we're moving to Japan
      '92 525Ti (E34)
      '00 Boxster S

Comment

BMP sells the urethane bushings.

I keep a spare adjuster bracket in my toolbox just incase since I've replaced 2 so far.

Comment

LOL, same problem here. I have a Alternator Rail arriving Monday because I wasn't home Friday for the delivery. Same broken place, same horrendous belt squeel. I will check the bushings while I am in there.
          I am stationary at forty miles an hour.
          ///Mark Dowst

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM
            Typical damage, bro. My "adjuster arm" was broken in the same place. Hopefully some enterprising shop has a spline-reinforced version in the works (hint hint).
            Too subtle for me....where exactly? I'd just as soon wait a few days for the "right" part.

The bushings can be a PITA to push in. A selection of large c-clamps, grade 8 washers, and white lithium grease made the task easier.
            I'm hoping I can just thread a long bolt through w/ some washers and tighten them in place. Otherwise I'll try to get the machine shop where I work to press them in place.

Originally posted by raul duke
            Do you have to go to the dealer to get the new bushings?
            The regular bushings are just rubber and seem to fall apart rather quickly (like the ones in my picture). BMP or Turner will sell urethane ones for about the same price as OEM. I believe you can also get urethane ones from the dealer off a 2002tii (?). PN: 012-31-1-268-447, although they are like $10-11 /ea. They should be off white in color. I personally went with the TMS ones since they had them in stock and shipped them the same day to me.

Comment

Replaced "Adjuster Bracket" today and tightened the "Alternator Belt", no more squeeling from my car.

Would have been a 10 minute job if I didn't drop the nut on the end of the adjuster screw. I spent 30 minutes looking for it and when I finally found it I had to use compressed air to move it, sadly when I moved it I lost track of it again.. another 30 minutes later I finally found it and had it on in seconds.
              ///Mark Dowst

Comment

anybody know the amperage rating on out alternator? is there any way to make the alternator charge at idle (mine barely charges the battery, around 12.9-13.0 volts, above idle it's more like 13.9-14.3 volts)

is there a higher out-put alternator off of another car that will fit the S14 (S38?)

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

The more power the more parasitic loss, right? I guess if you had one that was more efficient it could provide more power, but I doubt there are any good bang for buck improvements.
                  ///Mark Dowst

Comment

Our alternators are 90A. It seems possible that a more powerful alternator might fit, if that's what you want.

Higher voltage regulators are available, especially for colder climates.

BTW The alternator arm post "hint hint" was meant to get somebody to step forward with a better design. I received an e-mail from a manufacturer but accidentally deleted it.

Comment

Working...
                    X