Grill swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill swap

I'm buying an '88 M3 this weekend that has had a 'facelift' of sorts. Some of you in the Mid-Atlantic may be familiar with this car, it's in Baltimore, and has had a 740i front end grafted onto it.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/274117533.html

Needless to say, it's a tragedy, so before it even sees the light of day, I'm returning the front end to stock and painting the whole car Glanzshwarz.

My question: I have an E30 323 Euro (which is for sale BTW). Can I take the headlights, grills, and headlight wipers from it and put them on the M3 without any fitment issues (other than what's been deformed by the 740 transplant)?

BTW, I'll also be selling the custom red and tan interior from this car for anyone interested.

TIA, Max
    Last edited by maxxfish; 03-08-2007, 12:02 AM.

this car was much discussed on this forum, the guy was local (NY) but because of the hate he received for butchering the car he did not come to a lot of our meets. This car was done by Derek on Long Island, he is 'famous' for this nose jobs :rolleyes:

I will try to get you Derek's number so that you can get in touch with him and find out what needs to be done. Just out of curioucity, what did you pay for it? It was for sale for the longest time...

derek's car

Comment

If you live in the DC area I have some US grills and lights sealed beams you can have. I also have some sand blasted ellipsoids that I swapped out.
      Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Vlad,

Wow, I didn't realize the S-14 crew was aware of this car. Now I'm REALLY excited about bringing it back to it's former glory! I'm going to go in the direction of a Sport Evo "replimod." Jet Black all the way.

Other than the mods, the car is really nice, so I offered him close to his asking price. Max
        Last edited by maxxfish; 03-08-2007, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Oh that car is infamous since it's debut. With the exception of the nose it looked good.
          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Originally posted by maxxfish View Post
            Vlad,

Wow, I didn't realize the S-14 crew was aware of this car. Now I'm REALLY excited about bringing it back to it's former glory! I'm going to go in the direction of a Sport Evo "replimod." Jet Black all the way.

Other than the mods, the car is really nice, so I offered him close to his asking price. Max
            Max,

Thanks for saving this car! [peace]

I think when the car was originally put up for sale the asking price was in the mid-20's; then high teens, mid teens to the present ask on the craigslist ad you posted. It's been for sale for over a year and

Good luck with it. With the exception of the nose and interior; it's pretty nice

Here's the original thread I started:
            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18871
            1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
            1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
            1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Originally posted by L James View Post
              Max,

Thanks for saving this car! [peace]

Wow, you guys are making me feel like a hero!

I'll be sure to post pics of the re-transformation. It should be done by next weekend if all goes well (Thank god for body guys that like doing sidework at night for cash!).

Comment

hey max, glad to see you've joined us! that car needs some serious help but im sure you'll do a great job of bringing it back to what it should be. Goodluck!

-anthony
                Noobie with lots of questions.

Comment

I picked up the car yesterday, and immediately took a pair of metal shears and started cutting up the front end! The beast is slowly turning back into the beauty! There are a few small spot welds that I'm going to save for my body guy, but I'm sure everything will look purdy when all is said and done. Pics to follow.

It looks like I'm going to go with Nogaro Silver for the repaint. Quick question; my body guy says that since the current red paint is in such nice condition, all he has to do is degrease and scuff it before he shoots the new color. But the LAST thing I want is rock chips that show up as red on a grey car. Any suggestions? I would think that bringing the car back to primer would cost a fortune. What about 3M Clear Bra on the vulnerable areas?
                  TIA, Max

Comment

Originally posted by maxxfish View Post
                    I picked up the car yesterday, and immediately took a pair of metal shears and started cutting up the front end! The beast is slowly turning back into the beauty! There are a few small spot welds that I'm going to save for my body guy, but I'm sure everything will look purdy when all is said and done. Pics to follow.

It looks like I'm going to go with Nogaro Silver for the repaint. Quick question; my body guy says that since the current red paint is in such nice condition, all he has to do is degrease and scuff it before he shoots the new color. But the LAST thing I want is rock chips that show up as red on a grey car. Any suggestions? I would think that bringing the car back to primer would cost a fortune. What about 3M Clear Bra on the vulnerable areas?
                    TIA, Max
                    Even if he just scuffs, there will still be a primer base below the final paint color you choose.
                    3m will also help prevent the chips.

Best of luck,
                    Chris
                    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

1 pair metal shears...$26

1 chisel...$14

1 auto body hammer...$24

Saving another E30 M3...priceless!

Comment

THAT is awesome! One of the best restorations EVER! You'll have something special to the before/after thread.

- Daniel

Comment

Now you should really save it and put an s14 back in there

Just kidding, it came apart really nice, are you sure you don't want to just paint the fenders and filler? A good painter could blend those fender into the hood and you'd never know anything about the bad nose-job
                          REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
                          http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

Jeff,

Yep, I'm thinking about just putting a band-aid on it for now and touching up the fenders. I'm not a red car type, but this color is so hot (Porsche Guards Red), I might just live with it for a while...

Comment

A) THANY YOU for saving that poor car.
                              What in the wide wide wide world of sports was that !#@#!$#%^^*&ing buffoon who desicrated that poor car thinking putting that rediculous nose on it?
                              Hell I dont even care that its got a 6 cylinder in it (and you know thats rare to get me to say that)as long as you got that stupid friggin nose off it...

B) I like Nogaro silver,,, but man that car looks very hot in that color.
                              It would be a shame to do another whole repaint on that thing given how nice the rest of the car looks (given the removed aforementioned godawful nose job thing).

C) Take it the rest of the way and put the right motor back in it...

Nice job... that must have felt great.
                              Cheers
                              jimmy p
                              jimmy p.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                              X