Custom Exhaust Work Nor Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Exhaust Work Nor Cal

Anyone know a place in Northern California that does top notch custom exhaust work? I am looking to get a stainless mandrel bent system made.

I know about SPD, their work is ART, but unfortunately it is priced that way also.

Can anyone suggest anyplace else?

Whats up Ironhead? Hows that 2.5 going?

Anyway, all I know of is SPD in Rancho. I can ask around and see if anyone else has any thoughts, but Im sure thats the only one in the area.

If I hear anything Ill PM ya.

Comment

Hi there. The 2.5 is up and running, and it is a blast. The Schricks past 4500 rpm are almost turbo-like. I am still breaking it in and have not yet reved it past 5500.

I took a die grinder to the stock 2.3 exhaust so I could get it on the car. I am trying to get the $$ together for a custom exhaust and did not want to wait until then to run the car. I am using the Sport EVO header, so there is a HUGE step down into the stock 2.3 exhaust, which I am sure is limiting performance somewhat.

SPD does incredible work, and if no other options surface I may go that way for the work. I just hesitate because they are VERY expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
        Hi there. The 2.5 is up and running, and it is a blast. The Schricks past 4500 rpm are almost turbo-like. I am still breaking it in and have not yet reved it past 5500.

I took a die grinder to the stock 2.3 exhaust so I could get it on the car. I am trying to get the $$ together for a custom exhaust and did not want to wait until then to run the car. I am using the Sport EVO header, so there is a HUGE step down into the stock 2.3 exhaust, which I am sure is limiting performance somewhat.

SPD does incredible work, and if no other options surface I may go that way for the work. I just hesitate because they are VERY expensive.
        Ironhead,

Do you think their price will drop a lot if they make two of the exact same setup?? I have the same problem as you, (and I don't know HOW expensive SPD is) but I may be interested in getting one made.

YJ

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

ask calvin, (mfanatics) he might know some people in the bay area

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
          they are not idiots.

Comment

Seattle M3,

I can tell you this. I talked to SPD at length about what I wanted, and although they could not be sure without seeing the car, said it would cost $2500-3500. Still interested?

I think the problem is that they are moving away from one-off projects and doing semi production work on collectors, x/y pipes, pre-bent stainless, etc. They are still willing to do custom work, but they are pretty frank that the production stuff is more profitable, so they charge a lot on the one offs to make it worthwhile.

I can tell you a brand new Sport EVO exhaust is not much more than $2000 from the dealer......

I am only really tempted to go the custom route because I want easily removable (v-band) cats for track days, and the SPD work is awesome. Welds are almost invisible. Looks like the exhaust was sculpted from one piece of metal.

If you are still interested I will ask about a group deal, but I doubt they will lower the price.

Comment

Ironhead,

What sort of details are you looking for? Single 3", cats, no cats ect? If you don't want cats there's a company over here making a Grp N system. 3", no center box, all slip joints with band clamps. Very nicely made and I think it goes for under $1500. Itís made by BTB:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/btb/

Houlbt just ordered one from Bexley Motorsports here in the UK. I've seen and heard this on a work mates M3. It was more quite than my old Scorpion system which used 2 center boxes.

www.bmsport.com

Then of course you've got that newish set up from Super Sprint with 2 X 50mm pipes, no center box, cats if ya want 'em. This is the set up I have now. See:

http://www.m3bmw.com/jake/2.my_project_m3/exhaust/

BTW, Burns Stainless Steel has some very interesting rebuildable stainless steel ceramic mufflers I'd like to see put to use on someone's M3. http://www.burnsstainless.com/

Why do you want to go custom?

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
                Seattle M3,

I can tell you this. I talked to SPD at length about what I wanted, and although they could not be sure without seeing the car, said it would cost $2500-3500. Still interested?

:surprised :cry: At that price, I think I would work on some other facets of my car first! I wish I could do it though. At half that price, I would consider it. LOL

Good luck!!

I can't believe not many people make a aftermarket exhaust for the Sport Evo....

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                97 Porsche Carrera S
                13 Audi S6
                SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I was going to suggest Burnes Stainless, but of course they're a bit south for you. For the prices you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get started on a bespoke titanium system and shave off almost 50% weight. Food for thought.

Comment

Jake,

The main reason I have been thinking of going custom is because I want easily removeable cats attached with V-band clamps for track days.

Most of the systems you mentioned I have ruled out for one reason or another. The Supersprint is 50mm, and my header secondaries are 55mm. I figure the step down would be bad for flow. I have considered the dual 60mm DTM exhaust, but I have heard that it is very loud, and also for its price including shipping I could get a factory Sport EVO system for less.

Most of the race oriented systems I have heard are very loud, and I really don't want that.

I have thought about going with a single 3" system rather than a dual. It would certainly be simpler and easier. My only concern there is ground clearance.

Finally, I agree the Burns STainless mufflers look really cool, but I would question how quiet they are as they are billed as a "race muffler" and also there is not much mass to them.

That is more or less my quandary. I have managed to make it difficult....

Comment

Working...
                    X