Quick alternator assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick alternator assembly question

I just replaced the bushings and am waiting for a new adjustment arm to come in tomorrow morning, but I realized I "forgot" how to reassemble things.

Running between the bushings is a metal shaft, through which the long bolt goes which attaches the alt back to the engine. The shaft goes in from one end and has a snap ring on the other end to keep it from pulling out. Can someone confirm that the snap ring is on the back, towards the rear of the car. It seems like it has to be, but I'm not positive and couldn't tell from any pictures I took.

As usual, the Koala CD proved worthless providing any pictures of the area. I would have been better off spliting the $100 off into $20s and using them as scrap paper to takes notes with.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris,

Looking at the ETK, it appears the lower pivot gets the circlip on the forward end, and the top gets it on the aft end.

HTH,
    Jake

Comment

hmmm....guess I'm not "sure" afterall. thanks for checking.

Comment

i just replaced my bushings last weekend and they are indeed in opposite directions for each. I can't remember if it's the top or not that get the clip pointed towards the back but if the ETK shows that, i'd go with it.
        Chris
        90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Sounds like you've got it, but if not this might help.

Comment

damn....I didn't even check the ETK (doh!). Thanks everyone, hopefully I'm back on the road tomorrow.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X