Failed Emissoin help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Emissoin help needed

Sorry about the repost but the old one got too long....

She failed emission and these are the readings....

gas standard reading result
    nox 1323 23 pass
    HC 173 190 fail
    CO% 0.98 3.20 fail
    co2% 11.8
    o2% 0.6

So I took her to the mechanic today and showed him the numbers and he claimed the car was running "extremely" rich. he said it either needs the MAF sensor replaced or a new O2 sensor.

the only driveline related mod she has is a Jim Conforti chip, and I got her really hot before going in and had to wait in queue for about 20 minutes where the car was idling , engine temp was close to 210, and the temp gauge needle was a little over center. what do you guys think ? is she salvageable or a write off. do i need a new cat ? tune up ? any help appreciated. she only has 98,000 miles on her.

Without any chemicals or tricks, here are some things to check/get:

New/clean air filter
    good o2 sensor
    new/clean spark plugs
    check cap/rotor condition
    change the oil
    adjust AFM? try another one?
    replace JC chip with stock chip or borrow a stock DME

Your NOx is pretty low so the cat is probably good. I bet you'll pass after all that.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

When I hear "rich" on our cars, I automatically think: "Bad FPR or bad CTS"

Yeah, I agree w/ Barry--could be something as simple as bad spark plugs (and yes, an oil change can help your HC numbers).

You can Google 5-gas emissions analysis and get some good info about what the balance of the gases means and what the cause might be.

Interestingly, I read a few years back that some 3-way cats can fail at processing one gas, but be ok with others. For example, handle NOx ok but not HC or CO

Kinda makes sense when there are different metals in the cat targeted at a specific pollutant, and maybe one type gets "poisoned" and can no longer function?

Anyway, the cat replacement is expensive, so only start there as a last resort.

Comment

heres what i did since ....
        - changed air filter - was dirty
        - changed oil
        - fixed a vacuum leak - the small hose that was on top of the fuel injectors that goes to a BOSCH round thingy in front of the fuel rail was ripped.
        - A member hooked me up with a Stock chip, so im swapping that over instead of the Jim C chip I had before.

What do you guys think my chances are ?

Comment

I think your chances are good but there's only one way to find out! Go test and let us know. Try new plugs, they're cheap enough especially if yours are old.
          Last edited by Reelizmpro; 04-04-2007, 06:43 AM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by overdrive View Post
            heres what i did since ....
            - changed air filter - was dirty
            - changed oil
            - fixed a vacuum leak - the small hose that was on top of the fuel injectors that goes to a BOSCH round thingy in front of the fuel rail was ripped.
            - A member hooked me up with a Stock chip, so im swapping that over instead of the Jim C chip I had before.

What do you guys think my chances are ?
            That small hose delivers a vacuum reference to the fuel pressure regulator (the round thingy) so it would be a good reason for your rich running. Most other vacuum leaks would cause you to run lean, due to unmetered air entering the system.

Good luck to you on your emissions testing,
            Bryant

Comment

Working...
            X