Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Suspension: has this happened to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Suspension: has this happened to you?

I have always noticed that the front drivers side of my car sits slightly higher than the passenger side. I thought maybe it was the design of the coils to compensate for the drivers weight? Anyway, I take it apart this weekend to remove the spring pads (I have H&R Race/Bilstein sports) and I noticed that on the drivers side the spring had rotated so that it wasn't seated in the upper or lower perches correctly causing the height to be taller than the other side. I guess when I installed them years ago I didn't tighten the upper shock nut good enough or didn't make sure the spring was seated properly in both perches after jacking up the car.

I also found the cause of my shimmy. All 4 of the 13mm bolts underneath the strut tube were loose! I think I remember running out of threadlock and figuring it would be okay. Needless to say, I put threadlock on the brake caliper bolts as well as the strut bolts. It's pretty scary thinking about what could have happened if those 4 bolts failed or fell out.

So keep an eye on those bolts underneath the strut housings. Also, the E30 Bentley doesn't have the torque specs for these bolts as they are M3 specific. Anybody know what it is?
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 04-01-2007, 12:08 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Hi Barry. Yup. Springs sometimes rotate. You can tie-wrap them. As for the 4 lower bolts, they should be checked whenever a brake job is done, and always tightened using a threadlocker.
    Last edited by LeeVuong; 04-01-2007, 12:53 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

that hasn't happened, but i did lose a rear brake caliper bolt somewhere on the track. scary stuff!
      James
      sigpic

Comment

My friend Cherif's CM lost a strut (!!!) last September at LCMT. He was lucky it happened at the slowest corner of the track. The camber plates pulled from the towers, it broke the control arms, etc. But I fixed the car for the next day. The mechanic who was supposed to prep the car for the race did not check the bolts...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

Working...
        X