Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

E36 M3 brakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 M3 brakes question

I searched topics, but didn't found answer to my question.

I have calipers from Hamann M Coupe ok, ok, they are stock M coupe/ e36 m3 calipers and 315mm rotors I'm going to put them on my car, but what to do with rear brakes? Just put new original rotors and pads? I'm not sure bigger rear brakes will be good for track use...

p.s I have 25mm brake cylinder as well.

Any opinions about rear brakes? Leave new original or change to e36 m3 rears?
    Sport evo 537/600, 00' Daimler super V8 Long when want to bling bling

Did you get a custom spacer made for the front rotors and calipers? They are not a direct fit w/o a custom spacer..

The front brakes use most of the percentage under braking, unless you are using each to the fullest (ie: racing), there is no need to upgrade the rear. Perhaps a change in pad, but in my opinion, a waste.

Comment

brake bias

You will find that with the stock bias valve, you will have very unbalanced braking when you upgrade just the front. Pad choice may help some, but I'd advise installing a manually adjustable bias valve.

NASA GTS5 #945
      NASA GTS5 Midwest Regional Champion ('09,'11,'12 & '14)

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3 View Post
        Did you get a custom spacer made for the front rotors and calipers? They are not a direct fit w/o a custom spacer..

The front brakes use most of the percentage under braking, unless you are using each to the fullest (ie: racing), there is no need to upgrade the rear. Perhaps a change in pad, but in my opinion, a waste.
        I know about spacer Man who will install them had E30 M3 with S62 M5 engine and E36 M3 brakes in the front. On the rear he had E39 M5 brakes, but i don't think it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by sprytel View Post
          You will find that with the stock bias valve, you will have very unbalanced braking when you upgrade just the front. Pad choice may help some, but I'd advise installing a manually adjustable bias valve.
          What is bias valve?

Comment

Some racers will use front pf97 and rear pf01 (more grabby) when only upgrading the front end. Perhaps you could remove the stock limiting valve and install an adjustable one from Tilton or Wilwood. Ireland Engineering sells the Wilwood ones already rethreaded from 1/8NPT to M10 x 1mm thread.

If you just cruise with your car, you won't feel unbalance (usually the back end will be twitchy on hard braking if the front overworks). If you track the car, then balance your front/rear bias.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
            1989 M3 racecar
            e39 Touring

Comment

or you could just hog out the stock limiting valve and reinstall it, giving you 50/50 braking.
              James
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, thanks You

Comment

Front e36 M3 calipers have bigger pistons than rear ones (and bigger rotors). Removing the pressure limiting valve means that instead of the usual approximative 80/20 bias, the car may have around 60/40 bias. That is enough to lock the rear wheels on hard bracking and good for a dust show in the ditch. And bent sheetmetal. Not a good idea.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by jht3 View Post
                    or you could just hog out the stock limiting valve and reinstall it, giving you 50/50 braking.
                    Nooooo!:uhoh:

m

Comment

One more question. I have 18" 8.5j ET20 or ET 24 wheels. Will they fit after E36 M3 front upgrade?

Comment

Correct: 18, 8J, ET20 front

Comment

Working...
                        X