Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Air filter size and air flow requirements...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter size and air flow requirements...

I am fabricating a filter configuration for my CF airbox and the first configuration I am trying incorporates a panel filter who's dimensions are 3.5" wide by 7.25" long. Close to 2" inches deep. Is this going to flow enough air to satify my DTM box and stock throttles? Motor displacement is 2.5L and the filter is designed for a stock Renault airbox. :err:

Found out that my application will flow approximately 345CFM at 7800 RPM and Renault filter is too small so I bumped up to a different filter that will allow for 475CFM and it will take MINOR modification to what I have already designed.

Comment

How are you figuring the airflow????

BTW I bought the whole kit from John and it has a CF filter housing. It fits the stock filter size.

///Criss
      1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Originally posted by ///CRISS View Post

BTW I bought the whole kit from John and it has a CF filter housing. It fits the stock filter size.

///Criss

K&N Tech figured it out using displacement converted into CC's and highest engine RPM. he was able to calculate what the CFM would be and what CFM the filter could provide.

Comment

Originally posted by ///CRISS View Post

///Criss
          any pics of the filter housing?
          Chris
          90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

not yet. I did a one off piece from 1/8" plexiglass lexan. I am cutting the hole and fitting a small 1/8" round section of 2.75" tube for the angled conical filter....should be nice. I am going to paint it black and seal it from the inside.....should look factory. Filter cleaning shoudl also be a breeze though I'll probably only need to do it once every 5 years with the low miles I drive.

Comment

show us pics!!! i'm working on one too but I'm having trouble coming up with something I really like

Comment

I was going to make my own filter and filter housing using regular air duct filters wrapped around a custom made frame. Has anyone made their own?

- gabor
                October 1987 build date.

Comment

I'll try to get pics of mine. I thought there was an online link for the CF installation.
                  1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Working...
                  X