Clear All

• Don Sweitzer
    replied
    Thanks for the info guys..Don Sweitzer

Leave a comment:

• palmfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Baxter E30 View Post
    You want to avoid replacement with a standard replacement, as these have been failing at an alarming rate. The pressure plate springs fail, and chew the crap out of your bellhousing. Many a bellhousing has been trashed by these.
    I had never heard of this issue before but it is exactly what happened to me 2 months ago. It was a Sachs HD with Evo III flywheel.

My flywheel was undamaged (thank goodness), but my bell housing needed to be repaired (simple welding job).

I replaced the clutch with another Sachs HD thinking the failure was a fluke. We'll see...

Leave a comment:

• Nikos
    replied
    Don,

Another buddy of ours (Bill B.) who was instructing at the MSR event recently replaced both his flywheel and clutch/pressure plate assembly with a complete kit he got from Bimmerworld.

The kit uses the JB flywheel and what looks to be an upgrade pressure plate (multiple straps) along with a 3 or 4 puck clutch. It was very, very sweet looking. It's definitely the way to go and he got a killer deal on the whole kit from Bimmerworld.

Nick
    #91 JP - Henna who had a brand new Sachs pressure plate come apart after only 350miles :burn:

Leave a comment:

• Don Sweitzer
    replied
    Hi Greg: Thanks so much for your detailed info..what are SIG and CR lists..Don

Leave a comment:

• Baxter E30
    replied
    Clutch replacement

Don,

These cars are pretty easy on clutches, so to replace as preventative measure is your call. You want to avoid replacement with a standard replacement, as these have been failing at an alarming rate. The pressure plate springs fail, and chew the crap out of your bellhousing. Many a bellhousing has been trashed by these. Something to do with weaker/fewer straps on the pressure plate. I've never upgraded, but a beefier pressure plate is availible, maybe someone can chime in, or you could post to SIG or CR lists.

As far as clutches, JB Racing flywheel is the preferred lightweight one, IIRC. Figure about $550 from many CR sponsors, like VAC, Turner, Bimmerworld, etc. You can get an upgraded clutch kit from these sponsors too.

While you are in there...if the real main seal is not leaking, don't touch it. These are also notorious for leaking, so best to leave well enough alone. I would replace the shift shaft seal, as well as all the shifter bushings, starting with the foam bushing inside the shift shaft knuckle, the carrier bushing (buy a urethane one) and the bushing that bolts to the bottom of the floor board. All these are cheap, and really tighten up the shifter. Also, more than one person has had a failure of the shift rod, and/or the "U" shaped bracket that bolts to the trans. I'd replace both of them while you're in there, rather than blow a race week end if they fail. Hefty weighted shift rods are availible, perhaps UUC or Rouge, IIRC.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the wheels last week end!

Greg

Leave a comment:

• Don Sweitzer
    started a topic clutch e30 m3 ?

clutch e30 m3 ?

Hello everyone: I'm new to the site so I hope I'm getting this correct.. I have a 1990 E30 M3 JP track car..I bought the car approximately three years ago and am thinking that the clutch is probably getting fairly worn by now..although no performance issues yet..can anyone recomend the clutch kit that would be best for track use, lightened flywheel?, and should anything else be replaced while I'm having the new clutch installed..rear engine seal etc. Thanks, Don Sweitzer
Working...
X