Custom exhaust - good price???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom exhaust - good price???

I stopped off at the local performance exhaust shop to see how spendy a single 3" exhaust conversion would be. The shop quoted me no more than $400 and it would include a custom made Y-pipe (reuse the stock header of course), 3" piping mandrel bent (with a flat spot to clear in the rear) and a new Magnaflow 1-to-2 muffler reusing the dual Borla tips I already have on the stock muffler. I live in WA so I don't have to worry about emissions (lucky me) so this would be cat-less and resonator-less. The guy told me to do it that way and see if I like the sound and if not they could throw in a resonator or two to tone it down a bit. They have everyting in stock an will be doing it this Friday if I give the go ahead. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? I was actually suprised that the estimate was so low but then again our exhaust is pretty simple....
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson - BBC Top Gear
    sigpic

Sounds reasonable considering it's only a single pipe system using pre fabbed/universal parts. Does that come with a new flange to the header? or will they be cutting your old one off?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I think I paid @$360 for 2.5" to do the method Gustave details on his site but I used a 740i cat and the Magnaflow... Thats a good price.
      Rich!

Comment

i don't know of any 1 to 2 magnaflow mufflers that have the 2 pipes spaced close together enough for our cars.
        ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

That's WAY better then the prices I got up here in Canada. Mind you, is that all stainless T304 or aluminized ?

Yikes on the magnflow........... I'm doing a 2.5" single with a Magnaflow dual tip and I completely forgot to check that......... and it's at the shop rite now. I better call them.

Comment

It's done...and I like it...mostly.

Well I went ahead and did it...the bill came to $363 for the Magnaflow, piping and hangers, labor and tax. Not too bad but I think it might be just a wee bit LOUD!!! As I stated before, I don't have emissions testing here at all so this is just straight pipe back to the Magnaflow and that's it. The shop basically used the existing X-pipe from the stock exhaust, cut it in the middle and then fabricated a reducer to connect the the middle of the X-pipe to the 3" pipe. So granted that was the cheap and easy way to do it but that is also why my bill for the whole thing was only $363. Now that I have driven it over the weekend though, I think the straight pipe is a little much as far as sound. It does sound pretty evil (I think it sound like Vin Diesel's RX-7 in Fast and the Furious when he revs the engine as he pulls up right before the first race scene) but it's just a little too much so I will be going back to have a resonator installed to tone it down a bit.
            It sounds great at idle - almost like stock - and then has a nice low tone under average throttle but when you really get on it the sound is loud and kinda raspy. I am trying to get a sound clip or two but nothing seems to capture the sound very well - atleast not any of the recording equipment that I have.
            Overall though I am impressed. There are some noticeable gains especially in the top end. It seems that the car pulls harder for longer in the upper RPMs. Although I may get flamed a little for this...I was able to sweep up from 100 mph to 120 mph VERY quickly in fact the pull from 70 to 120 was pretty constant. It used to take much more road to hit that 120 mark on the speedo :wee:
            “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
            sigpic

Comment

according to how you describe it it sounds like you got a great deal. i cant wait til you get some sound clips somehow.. that would be sweet

Comment

Just had mine done as well and got it back over the weekend. I have the BMW 50/50 two piece header into a Burns y-pipe and then 2.5" from front to back into a Magnaflow muffler can. It's all stainless T304. The guy that did the work was awesome (in my opinion)........ all TIG welded and mandrel bends. With the Magnaflow muffler can, he lined up one side at the tips and on the other side he curved it in and then straight back to match so it fits through the rear bumper slot. It turned out perfect for my tastes. He welded 3" polished stainless pipe on for tips as I don't like that fat rolled tip look.

Marco, the exhaust master doing the last little bit of wrenching. Yup, up there in the front is an RSR that he's doing some crazy turbo for. 335 rubber on the back if I remember right. Nasty little vehicle.

A shot of the slightly adjusted rear tips.

The finished piece is very nicely tucked up under the car actually. It doesn't show it ini the pictures but Marco did a really nice job. The tips come out on a slight angle as well as shown above....... a nice little attention to detail touch.

As for sounds, yup, she gets a bit loud. But I like the tone and characteristics of that as it really suits the look of my car. And as it's an '87, it's the last year for Canadian cars that don't require emissions which is really cool. But unfortunately, she's not registered to go on the road yet, but it's really close. I'm just waiting for the plates. Otherwise everything else is done to get her on the pavement. And I'm curious to see how this exhaust will sound on the road/highway once it warns up. At the end of the day, I'm very happy with how it's turned out so far. It cost me $600 CAN ($20 USD converted) for everything except the Burns Y-pipe with the flange and the Magnaflow muffler can. Those two were ontop of that cost.
                Last edited by tominizer; 05-22-2007, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Just an update:
                  After driving the car around for a week I have decided to go back and get the resonator for my 3" exhaust. Although the car sounds awesome at idle and at low to medium rpms once you get up over 5k rpms it has too much of a raspy/rattle sounds that starts to remind me of a Honda coffee can. Granted I do have a straight 3" to a Magnaflow so it was bound to be loud but this isn't the kind of loud that I want. Anyway, the shop owner is hooking me up with a pretty big resonator (I think it was 28" long) and installing it for $50. It's getting done tomorrow so I will update once I get it back. It was kinda funny but the shop owner said he had been expecting my call all week as he knew I would want the resonator put in after driving it for awhile.
                  I took a few sound clips on my phone (it has a voice recorder built in) but the exhaust actually sounds better through the phone than it does in real life. I am going to wait until I get the resonator put in and then do another sound clip to see if it sounds at all different and then post them if I think its worth doing. The current clip did make for a pretty sweet ringtone though :Jake:
                  sigpic

Comment

I haven't had a chance to open mine up............... soon though.

Comment

I paid just over $600 for mine.
                      I provided the flange courtesy of Lee. The Y pipe was tig'd from stainless.
                      The rest is 3" aluminized with a catalytic and Magnaflow straight through. It's definitely quite loud.

The hangers had to be fabricated since this was an 318 underneath with the stock E30 subframe and rear valence. We kept a short 2.5" section right after the Y just to keep a little restriction.

Michael
                      www.purems.com | Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

That sounds like a great deal to me.

I had a very similar system built (paid a lot more though) and ended up changing out the muffler after a test drive around the block. I couldn't handle the coffee can sound and swapped out to the largest magnaflow I could fit back there. Now it sounds great and 5k rpm makes me smile

Comment

The added resonator has made a HUGE difference and I really like the sound now. It's still loud...but a good euro-performance loud not a raspy Honda coffee can loud. I am really please with the overall results given that this exhaust has cost me about $400 total. Plus I turn a few more heads now...:Jake:
                          sigpic

Comment

In classic Tom fashion, I just totally fuked up. Just went this morning to register the plates for the M and put her finally on the road.

The lady goes, " you need emmisions".

I go," no I don't....... it's an '87 so it's exempt".

She goes," no it's not, it's an '88...... see". She shows me the "official" papers.

I look at the papers and fuk ..........low and behold, it's a gawd damn '88. Shit. Anything 1988 and newer will always will require emissions in Canada (new law just passed). I'm one year off the fine line. So I'm fuked and always will be for emissions. So my nice new exhaust ............ may need to be modified and I'm TOTALLY hating that idea. It will be interesting to see if it even can be as we tucked it up pretty good. I'm SO gawd damn pissed at myself for walking so far down the road without checking .........and mixing up my two cars. What a total idiot I am. The original E30 M3 I "had" and it's the one I took the motor out of was the '87.

And I was soooo happy I had an '87 ......... shot my mouth off about emissions .......... blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, I "HAD" an '87 alrite, but that's not what's in my driveway now. Classic kick in the groin and well deserved :wee:

Comment

Dude that totally sucks! However, I'll bet you could get a high-flow cat and stick it in without TOO much work and pass emissions just fine. I remember the performance high-flow cat I had the 3" exhaust for my VW wasn't very big at all. In fact, if I remember right, the cat I had on that exhaust wasn't much more than about a 8" long and basically looked like a miniture resonator. I'm sure you could find a section to cut out and put a cat in...and then just make a test pipe out of the exhaust piece you cut out so you could then swap the test pipe right back in after passing emissions :Jake:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X