too hot @ idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too hot @ idle

My car get to the 3/4 line on the temp gauge when its at idle...at a long red light or a drive thru type situation. Fan and aux. fan are working fine, the thermostat is new, hoses are new, no leaks. Only thing i noticed is that the overflow hose is wet at the tip sometimes, but there isnt too much coolant. What you guys think?

Rob
    "A wolf in wolves clothing"
    Tiff Needell

Could be a bad fan clutch or bad coolant reservior cap. Are you losing coolant at all?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

cap is new...a lil coolant is being lost cuz of the overflow hose. besides that no. How do u check fan clutch?
      Tiff Needell

Comment

Once your engine gets really hot the fan clutch should engage. To check it CAREFULLY take a rolled up newpaper and touch the fan while the engine is running. If you stop the rotation of the fan with the newspaper the clutch is bad.
        2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
        1995 Porsche 993
        2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
        2004 Ford F-150 FX4
        2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
        1985 BMW M635CSI
        2001 BMW M3
        1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

At a stand still the car get hot? It's the fan clutch. The AC fan is also not working. This should turn on after the half way point.

You might also want to make sure the system is keeping pressure.

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

I'd do the newspaper test first. If that checks OK you might want to borrow a known-good overflow tank, as sometimes the plastic lip can go bad on the old tank. Finally, check for bubbles in the coolant tank when you rev the car. This could mean a head leak.

Comment

I was losing coolant out of the overflow hose on the tank. I'm not sure if I have a factory cap on my reservoir.
              After being enlightened on this forum about a dodgy seal caused by the tank itself, I used a screwdriver to pry up on the blades of the shim that is on the underside of the cap.
              Since pretensioning the shim, I've had no loss or venting of coolant.
              If both your fans work I'd suspect a clogged radiator.
              m.

Comment

ermmm!
                Forgive me but the e30 M3 doesnt have a clutch fan unless it has been fitted afterwards as a DIY job. All e30 m3's have an electric and the clutch fan was not used to save weight.

Also depnding on the year of the car, it is working the way it should.
                86-88 m3's the fans were on all the time at a low speed. From 88 onwards they changed them to cut in at 3/4 way on temp needle. This was done because the fans were burining out on the older models. as long as this is happening you are fine. If however it goes into the red you do have a problem!
                Johnny Cecotto Wannabe!

Comment

Originally posted by eamo
                  ermmm!
                  Forgive me but the e30 M3 doesnt have a clutch fan unless it has been fitted afterwards as a DIY job. All e30 m3's have an electric and the clutch fan was not used to save weight.

Also depnding on the year of the car, it is working the way it should.
                  86-88 m3's the fans were on all the time at a low speed. From 88 onwards they changed them to cut in at 3/4 way on temp needle. This was done because the fans were burining out on the older models. as long as this is happening you are fine. If however it goes into the red you do have a problem!

Maybe in Europe, but over here ALL M3's that came to america have a clutch fan. The electric fan only comes on when the temp hits 5/8 (low speed), 3/4 (high speed), and if the air cond is on.

Tony

Comment

I'd have to echo Tony's comment. I'm here in the UK and never saw a mechanical fan on an M3. However, I've never seen a US M3 without it.

Cheers,
                    Jake

Comment

yup. All US spec E30M cars have the noisy clutch fans. it tends to get much hotter over here climatically speaking, so this seems to be a compromise to prevent burning out the electric fans.
                      m.

Comment

apols all!
                        didnt realise the american ones had the fan!
                        Johnny Cecotto Wannabe!

Comment

ok now loosing alot of coolant...i filled it up this morning, and by nighttime the tank was empty. Coolant is only leaking from the overflow hose. The car isnt overheating, but its a bit hotter than normal. I noticed that the thermostat was letting coolant through even when the car was cold, so im guessing its stuck open, though its only 6 months old...Any advice?
                          Tiff Needell

Comment

If you're sure the cap and tank are good, I'd have your coolant tested for combustion gasses. Maybe do a leakdown test as well.

HTH,
                            Jake Larsen

Comment

If you can't find a wet leak and the car runs fine, I'd take a closer look at the radiator. If it is leaking, it is hot enough to burn off the escaped coolant.
                              m.

Comment

Working...
                              X