Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walked an E36 332iS last night... video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little off topic here,

Ryan,
    What are you doing going to school in SB? I was there over the summer and there is some decent partying at IV or whatever the hell you guys call it. Also there is a fatty little dealership across from Iv by that little airport with the ferraris and porches, they were going to let us test drive them drunk as shit. We declined because in all our bad judgement moves something told me and my friend this would be one hell of a bad idea.

Also, I remember on e30sport you said you are going to Whistler BC at the end of this month? I'm moving in there on the 28th of this month we should meet up! Im doing the work program thing. Anyone in Vancouver we should all chill!

For the question now, What is stock compression? How much more power can you get for shaving it? And what is the wildest you can shave it?
    I have a blown head gasket and when the head comes off next spring I figure why not?

Sorry for the highjacking

Jess

Comment

I am in the Auto Tech program at City College.
      Yes, we can meet when I am in whistler, I am trying to organize something to do while up there...
      SB is fun, but I hate IV, its a shithole. I lived there my first year and it was OK, but I am so glad to not be there anymore. I work at Cutter Motors (the BIG dealer). That little car dealer is called Scott's Motors.

Shaving the head yeilds some good power. I got my motor to 10.7:1 CR with EVO3 pistons (10.2:1).
      Stock Compression ratio is only 10.1:1 and I would say shave it down to get it up around 10.5-10.8 and you will get some good power without the ring of pings and knocks with street gas. Here in CA we only get 91 octane so thats the hughest CR I could run...
      Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
      '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
      '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
      http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

So I could do 10.8 and be safe running 94 all day, and incase Im in an area with only 91 it will still be safe?

Comment

pretty much...
          I am running a JimC chip and my 2.5L with 10.7:1 and only get a ping every great once and a while.
          Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

It looked like the e36 was either out of its powerband in the beginning or you got a jump at the start because it seemed like the e36 was starting to make up the difference in acceleration right before you hit the brakes, its hard to tell since the video started after the race started. Either way, just an observation. Your car looks sweet in motion.

Try starting from a 2nd gear roll and running it up to the top of 3rd and see how it goes.

Comment

holler at me when you come down

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Cylinder head skimming

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
                Stock Compression ratio is only 10.1:1
                Std 2.3 CR = 10.5:1
                E2 2.3 CR = 11:1
                E3 2.5 CR = 10.2:1

How much did you skim? Can you still see the skimming indicators? Did you use adjustable cam gears to bring cam timing back into spec? Did you measure piston/valve clearance?

Local practice is to cut deeper valve reliefs in the pistons as an added safety measure, on STOCK rebuilds. Skimming retards cam timing bringing valves even closer.

Cheers,
                Jake Larsen

Comment

I have seen stock pistons that sat 10.1:1 on them, people thought it was 10.5 but its only 10.1
                  The head wasn't shaved very much, I will check the indicator on sunday/monday when I get home from my trip.
                  I plan on getting shricks and adjustable gears around x-mas this year, so I will make sure its all perfect then.
                  Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

I pulled on an e36 325is in my....

I pulled door to door on an e36 325is in my 76 2002Tii
                    This was a fair race where i came up next tim him in a tunnel in 3rd gear and just pinned it all the way to 4th. He then dropped into 5th and passed.

-These e36's are not that fast. I cant wait to rape them in my e30 M3./
                    1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
                    2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

Re: I pulled on an e36 325is in my....

-These e36's are not that fast. I cant wait to rape them in my e30 M3./ [/B]
                      :rolleyes:

What gear was this in? It didn't really appear to be a 'fair' race.

:shrug:

Your car still makes me want to give up looking for a decent AW e30 and score a silver one.

1988 Silver E30 ///M3 - Sold
                      1995 Yellow E46 ///M3 - Ex-GrandAm Cup Racecar
                      1995 Silver E36 ///M3 - Crapwagon
                      1995 Black E36 ///M3 - Crappier Crapwagon (Turbo)
                      1995 Purple E36 ///M3 - Crappiest Crapwagon (Euro S50 powered)
                      1969 BMW 2002/1602
                      1986 BMW 325 turbo

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
                        it was a fair and even race.
                        its a 5spd M3.
                        I have a 2.5L that is VERY strong running. I am not surprised that I pulled like this on him. The torque on my motor is unreal... I will try and get to a dyno in the next few months so I can see what kind of #'s I am putting down.
                        I easily beat my friends 3.0L M20 that dyno'd 189rwhp and 195rwtq and it was scary how fast I pulled on it, 3 car lengths from 60-80mph. that was a '92 M-Technic Cabrio...
                        :rolleyes:

92 m-technic cabrio...weighing in at 545045045lbs :p nevermind the gearing...

Id just like to see a full video.

Good shit tho

Comment

I was in 3rd, we BOTH were, and we both punched it at the same time. The S14 has way better throttle response, and I walked him no problem.
                          Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

I once raced an e36M3 convertible in Grand Central, I was alone and he had 2 passengers. Cruising at 60-65mph as he passed me maybe at 75mph, I redlined 3rd and 4th to mid-5th, I could only get as close to 2 car lengths but he still kept pulling very, very slowly.

My only experience with it.

Comment

i'd say this video is fairly beleiveable... my 95 m3 in third gear pulls hard, and it takes my dads pretty stock 2.3 liter 88.... but i think my 2.5 with probably pull the e36 about like this video did... i'd like to see the whole vid tho... good stuff
                              1990 e30 m3

Comment

Unfortunatly, that IS the whole video... the filmer didn't get to filiming until right after we took of. I swear it was an even start...
                                Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X