SPARCO strut bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPARCO strut bar question

I just bought a SPARCO sturt bar and it is about 1/8"-1/4" off. By off I mean to long. Ive read about raising the center or the car from the front, but what I was wondering is where the best place to jack it up is?

Thanks,

Jess

Nick and I have installed a few of these..... In fact, there is a rumor that there are 2 sizes of the bar? I wonder who came-up with this since there is only one chassis architecture? My guess is wrong part #'s or production problems. I am not "IN THE KNOW" on these things, so it's conjecture on my part.

Anyway, you can jack it up by the motor mount (center). If you need more room you can gain a few quarters by removing the 2 outer shock tower nuts and loosening the inner nuts (this changes the angle of the bolts). Having 2 people lean (weighted) on each quarter can steal you another 1/8".

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

WOW you were right MAGNUS, I was just at SPARCOusa.com and it showed 3 different part numbers. One is like a universal aluminum one for all e30's, the second is an all aluminum one for e30///M3, and the third is an all steal for the e30///M3. My feels, sounds like steal. I guess my car is a little more setteled. I'll get it on there.

Thanks,

Jess

Comment

Wow it really seems like quite a few of you have run into this problem of the sparco bar in particular,
        like Magnus already posted the best way to install it is to jack the car up by the front crossmember, this should ease the install, if you still need a little room get a friend and "pursuade" the fenders (while still on the jack).

Enjoy the tightness
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
          Enjoy the tightness
          That's what she used to say! :rolling: Sorry! It's late.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

we have a great pic of this install dont we magnus...........
            Old School

Comment

this is "His" ghetto install. :burn:

Comment

AHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

GHETTO-FAB....

RHINO HORN AND ALL...STILL KEEPIN IT GANGSTA....

Comment

I had to jack my car up also to install the bar. Not much of a problem. Has anyone else noticed that the nuts that on top of the shock tower get stretched? Mine are almost like ovals now.

Comment

BTW, I've heard from a few sources that BMW actually made two very slightly different E30 unibodies and that there are some out there that have a shorter shock tower distance.

I found out I have one of these short models as the Sparco steel bar wouldn't fit my car, regardless of jacking or technique.

Jeff Ireland at Ireland Engineering has fabricated a short version of the Sparco-style steel brace just for these cars. Theres more detail on the IE website.

There was a thread on DTMpower a year or so ago which attempted to determine how many cars had the shorter dimensions, and I believe they were all manufactured around the same time (early 89?).

The the center to center shock tower measurement is around 39.5" I think you have the short one and the Sparco just won't fit. Get the IE one, its identical (only black)

-Dave

'89 M3
                    '97 M3
                    '00 A4

Comment

The Sparco Steel bar is reddish orange...perhaps a good match with Henna. but it stands out a bit on my zinnoberrot car. I installed all three bolts to get the best effect. This required dropping the struts for working room!

Magnus had his Sparco Bar paint matched to his silver car...very nice.

Stan

Comment

There is another sparco bar for E30's, but there is only "1" for e30 M3's to my knowledge (which ain't much)

Comment

i have the steal bar on my non m and i also had to jack it up and use and tap it down a little once it got over the tops of the bolts it went right on no problem

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Issues, Issues. Usually I have the issues, but when it came to the Sparco she just fell right on. Oh, and I have like an inch of space between the bar and the bolt on the back of the plenum some have issues with.

T

Comment

Working...
                            X