No announcement yet.

windshield replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know a good windshield shop in NY state that can do a good job on our cars? I need a new windshield put in....
    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

"Lucky you. That is the same guy that did my car (used to be project's car). He put on the wrong rubber (E36 rubber). Now I need to buy the rubber and put it on myself."

Not sure how lucky I am? I called Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa for a recommendation.

Here is a shot with the glass removed, track cleaned and primer going on before the Black glue was applied with a battery powered caulking gun.

Here is a shot just as its getting pressed in.

I think in its day (glued in glass) was a big deal, but now its fairly common. Not sure what could go wrong with this installation?
      Looked very straight forward. Was happily shocked at the price and warranty. (1st time on this car)
      (Was one of the lucky ones, no rust)

Last edited by NSXM3; 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I installed the glass myself but had to look up the directions in the fiche. Quotes from the aftermarket glass guys were too much and I think their method is a little questionable. The aftermarket glass companies apply the glue to the body itself, then apply the glass, opposite of what the factory way is.

The E30 M3 was BMW's first bonded windshield. The BMW M3 glass has a factory bead already installed. You have to put a second bead over the factory bead to have the proper height and seal. Anything more will cover up the drain holes in the cavity of the windshield and this turns into rust. When I took my windshield out (aftermarket) the bead of the bonding glue was super thick. It took me a good amount of time to remove it all and uncover the drain holes. It may cost more but having your windshield done at the dealer ensures that it is done right.
        BMW Maintenance. Repair. Performance.
        Factory Trained, Performance Driven

[email protected]
        cell: 707.373.4000

Comment

That is interesting...

I'm about to call and have Geico foot the bill...I wonder who they'll send to do it...I hope I can have a say about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Modena 1 View Post
            That is interesting...

I'm about to call and have Geico foot the bill...I wonder who they'll send to do it...I hope I can have a say about it!
            Be sure to TELL Geico that your car needs a BONDED windshield. Otherwise, they'll just send some 17 year old over w/ a standard windshield, thinking he's going to be sliding the new one into a regular non-M E30 seal. Ask me how I know.
            -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

just got the replacment sheet metal for the cowl and most of the body work done on top. this thing has gone from a windshield to a restoration. I love my car! pics will be coming

Comment

Good luck with your restoration. I have some cowl rust and plan to remove the windshield and hope to find minimal damage...fingers crossed.

Originally posted by scrv1 View Post
                just got the replacment sheet metal for the cowl and most of the body work done on top. this thing has gone from a windshield to a restoration. I love my car! pics will be coming
                There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

NSXM3- Hey man, not meaning to bring you any worries, but it looks like the glass guy layed down a very thick bead on that first picture. Are you sure he didn't cover up the drain holes? Not that it matters now, the windshield looks good though!
                  BMW Maintenance. Repair. Performance.
                  Factory Trained, Performance Driven

[email protected]
                  cell: 707.373.4000

Comment

The 1st pic is a heavy black primer used to protect the metal in case the paint was disturbed when the razor tool cut out the old glass. (to help prevent rust)
                    Thanks for the keads up though.
                    Last edited by NSXM3; 06-26-2007, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Hi-

Would anyone with a factory repair manual be kind enough to scan the instructions for a windshield installation? I'll probably take it to the dealer or good shop to do it, but would like to have the instructions in hand to give to them.

TIA,
                      Mark
                      Mark

"She'll hold together. Hear me, baby? Hold together!" -- Han

Comment

Hi

PM me your e-mail.

Comment

You guys are missing the boat. To do the windshield correctly* the glass should be strapped down with tensioning straps. “20 HOURS DEPENDING ON TEMP AND HUMIDIY ACCORDING TO UREATHANE ADHESIVE MANUFACTURER (SIKA)” The "wait and change" or "blue tape specials" are a load of crap. You get what you pay for.
                          Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-30-2008, 12:27 PM.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

so far the prices on realoem have been close to what they show
                            In my experience, realoem prices are wildly inaccurate. But so are my local dealer prices. They basically just make up numbers, all of which are greater than list.
                            I use the Bell BMW site for reference:
                            http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat....cfm?siteid=26
                            Search by part number (copied and pasted from realoem), and you will get BMW list price, and Bell's 15% discounted price.
                            I think in its day (glued in glass) was a big deal,
                            Not in the U.S. My 1971 Vega had a glued windshield, which I changed myself. Glued windshields have become mandatory by our government, since rubber mount windshields cannot withstand the inside pressure of a popped airbag. Just something to consider if you are buying a 1990 or later non-M3 E30 for the airbag.
                            Rubber mount windshields are a snap to install. I watched the process on my first 1984 318i, and I have done it myself in about 15 minutes....the only 'special' equipment being a plastic bicycle tire tool.
                            As you might have gathered, I don't put much stock in my local dealer. After asking around, I found out that they just call the generic windshield man to come to their shop to install windshields. I do want BMW glass, but I don't need to pay the dealer surcharge for the exact same job that I can contract myself.
                            Last edited by John Arnold; 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM.
                            John
                            88 ///M3 Cinnabar
                            84 318i Black
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X