Oil Pump Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Shims

I dropped my oil pan last night to do the rod bearing. I took out the oil pump and notice there are some slack in the oil pump chain. There are two shims already there. How many more shims can I used to reduce the slack?
    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
    Born date 01/88
    Ryan

As many as it takes. There is no limit.

Jake

Comment

I removed the slack from my oil pump chain last year too. I had a couple of shims left from my M10 engines. Most likely, you will only need two or three thin shims.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

How tight should the chain be, anyway? I would think you could get it too tight..

Comment

The factory manual just says "adjust in such a way so that the chain gives under light thumb pressure". The method I use is to swap out the shims until you can *just* slip the gear back onto the pump splines while the pump is bolted down. This results in just enough slack without it being too tight.

HTH,
          Jake

Comment

Koala Manual say you should have 2mm of total play at the center point between two sprocets.
            Darren
            -Darren

Comment

In the same note: should I used thread locker for the oil pump bolts? or just torque them to spec? TIA
              Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
              Born date 01/88
              Ryan

Comment

It wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't think it's necessary but it certainly does no harm.

Jake

Comment

there are thick and thin shims.. they can be used in any combination and any number to get the chain tight. as Lee said.. generally 3 thin shims, or a thick shim and a thin one....

the thin ones bend easily.. thinner than an aluminum can...
                  the thicker ones are much harder to bend and
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X