Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO steering wheel

Hi S14 people

I've just bought a diamondschwarz 1987 BMW E30 M3. It is going to be rebuild as a trackdaytoy.

I'm looking for at new steering wheel and was about to buy one of those Sparco-ones with the yellow line in the middle of the wheel. However, at my search on ebay.de I found this steering wheel from the EVO (??):
    http://cgi.ebay.de/OEM-BMW-M3-E30-EV...QQcmdZViewItem

Will it fit directly in my car?

Also I noticed the little "gear knob" also from the EVO model (??). I think I will buy one of these too if it also fits?

Cheers
    Thomas from Denmark
    1987 BMW E30 M3 (trackdaytoy)

Yes, it will fit. I put one on my '90 M3 but there is only about 1" off clearance between the wheel and the wipers, light, & cruise control stalks. You can bend the stalks or put a spacer under the wheel. Neither is easy. The wheel is nice though/
    :cycle:

Comment

If you are going to use the car on the track, suggest this would be a waste of money, as the suede comes off really quickly.... More show than go

Suggest get proper track one

Craig

1990 M3 Sport EVo

2002 330d Sport Touring
      Craig

1990 M3 Sport Evo

2006 VW Golf R32

Comment

365mm diameter will definitely fit, i have the same steering wheel but in the all leather version. as for the track use I wouldn't use it as evosport was saying that the suede can come off real quickly.

Comment

That wheel fits non-airbag M3s perfectly fine with no clearance issues. It came on the EVO3 M3 from the factory.
          Terrance

Comment

Originally posted by evosport View Post
            If you are going to use the car on the track, suggest this would be a waste of money, as the suede comes off really quickly.... More show than go

Suggest get proper track one
            Okay great :fire: - think I will find a Sporco steering wheel then.

Thanks for your replies!:

Thomas
            1987 BMW E30 M3 (trackdaytoy)

Comment

Old thread. But I should point out that suede is actually a very good choice for a race application as it doesn't get slippery under moist hands. It does wear quicker, but the appearance factor is not a priority in a racing situation. Look at Sparco's website and look at the competition wheels. 90% Suede: http://www.sparcousa.com/steering_co...=1&helmetType=
              Last edited by Bread; 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM.
              Jason

'88 Zinno M3
              '78 IHC Scout II
              '99 Ducati 996

Comment

Don't completely agree....

Suede is intended to offer a good grip with racing gloves on.

IMHO it is not good for use with bare hands. It gets stained, matted down, and I don't think it grips very well unless you are wearing gloves. And if it "slides" through bare hands it gives a mild but annoying "rug burn" effect.

I think smooth leather is much better for road and casual track day cars.

Comment

A matter of personal preference I suppose. But suede works excellent with bare hands and is used in other applications that steering wheels. Here's another quote from http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/steeringquickrelease.htm

"Suede is the preferred material for track use because it provides good grip even with clammy hands, it does however show wear much quicker than smooth leather."

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/e46-...ring-wheel.htm

They even make suede grips for tennis rackets and rowing oars for better grip in wet conditions: http://www.durhamboat.com/handle.php

There are lot's of examples. But in the end it's a matter of personal opinion. I just wanted to make it clear that suede is not a poor choice for racing use, but in fact a very good choice.
                  Jason

'88 Zinno M3
                  '78 IHC Scout II
                  '99 Ducati 996

Comment

After considering many steering wheel options, I just bought a 330mm Momo Mod 78 suede steering wheel. Is is small, looks great (IMO) and is a favorite among track guys. My M3 is a street car, but I think that seude looks great even though it will probably wear sooner. The Evo 3 suede wheel is nice and original, but is too big IMO.

Cheers, Daniel.
                    - 1987 M3 (e30)
                    -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
                    - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

Comment

I had a suede wheel before and switched to leather. Easier to care for and revitalize.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
                        I had a suede wheel before and switched to leather. Easier to care for and revitalize.
                        I'll be getting a leather wheel as well for the same reasons. I want it to look purdy as the years go by.

I wonder if it would be difficult/expensive to get the suede wheel recovered every couple years? I've seen a few sites that do leather recovering, so I suppose suede would be similar in costs.

This site offers wheel recovering for $200 on all aftermarket wheels, which is unfortunately not far off from the price of a new wheel: http://www.aglausa.com/p/home.html

But they also sell leather OEM replacement shift boots for $35. Pretty good price.
                        Jason

'88 Zinno M3
                        '78 IHC Scout II
                        '99 Ducati 996

Comment

Originally posted by BeastPower View Post
                          After considering many steering wheel options, I just bought a 330mm Momo Mod 78 suede steering wheel. Is is small, looks great (IMO) and is a favorite among track guys. My M3 is a street car, but I think that seude looks great even though it will probably wear sooner. The Evo 3 suede wheel is nice and original, but is too big IMO.

Cheers, Daniel.
                          Got a picture of this installed? I'd love to see how it looks in the cockpit.
                          Jason

'88 Zinno M3
                          '78 IHC Scout II
                          '99 Ducati 996

Comment

Keep in mind that smaller steering wheels will tend to block parts of the gauge cluster. That Evo wheel is about as small as you can go without blocking any part of the cluster.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                              Keep in mind that smaller steering wheels will tend to block parts of the gauge cluster. That Evo wheel is about as small as you can go without blocking any part of the cluster.
                              Good thing to keep in mind with the stock seats considering the fact that these columns don't tilt without adding spacers to the dash mount. If you run racing seats, all bets are off as the driving position will change in many dimensions from my experience. Being 6'3" tall, I've got my Sparco's mounted nearly to the floor on custom brackets, so I'm actually seeing my gauges for the first time :surprised I'm in the middle of a full refit with the steering wheel being the next step, so I hope I don't end up blocking my new view.

I'm leaning towards the Momo "tuner" in the 350mm size vs. the smaller 320mm. I've read that it's recommended to downsize about 1" overall from the stock diameter, and this seems to be pretty close.

The next issue is of course being able to reach it. Being a '88 non-airbag car the wheel should be closer than on the '90 model year, but I have a hard time reaching it as it is with the more dished stock wheel. I'm afraid the flat Momo wheel will put it out of my reach. So I'm going to mount the wheel on the Tekniq AutoSport quick-release hub for theft prevention, and to try and space the wheel closer to my grip. Might need to add another spacer on top of that even still.

The factory E30 driving position is just horrible for my size. So it's been my top priority to make the car fit me properly :drive: No point in putting money anywhere else if you can't fit comfortably behind the wheel.
                              Jason

'88 Zinno M3
                              '78 IHC Scout II
                              '99 Ducati 996

Comment

Working...
                              X