EVO steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bread View Post
    Got a picture of this installed? I'd love to see how it looks in the cockpit.
    No pics yet, as it hasn't been installed, but it should go in very soon.

Cheers, Daniel.
    - 1987 M3 (e30)
    -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
    - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

Comment

When leather wheels get worn they start leaving black sticky residue on your hands, especially on hot summer days. This is the case with mine on the top of the steering wheel

Comment

That's from years and years of dirt/oils which can be cleaned off. I know exactly what you're talking about though and it is nasty once that stuff gets heated up or wet and rubs off like tar on your hands.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH! View Post
          When leather wheels get worn they start leaving black sticky residue on your hands, especially on hot summer days. This is the case with mine on the top of the steering wheel
          I've read on a few sites that the Lexol brand of leather cleaners work just as well on steering wheels as they do on seats. I've yet to try it though.
          Jason

'88 Zinno M3
          '78 IHC Scout II
          '99 Ducati 996

Comment

I've had the E3 suede wheel for quite a few years now and have zero matting. I use driving gloves which gives much better road feel with suede to suede contact.
            sigpic

Comment

I should probably update this thread as well. I did end up purchasing the Momo Tuner wheel in the 350mm size. I didn't want to go too much smaller than the factory wheel as per the recommendations I've read online.

My seating position is great now, but my factory wheel is too far if I get my legs comfortable. So I knew I'd need some spacers. Since I'm concerned about the theft in my area, I opted to get a quick-release hub kit from Tekniq ( http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/steeringquickrelease.htm ). I take the wheel in with me at night. Thieves can break into my car, but they aren't taking it home without a tow truck. At least I'll have a shell worst case scenereo. Anyways, I've read great things about this kit as it doesn't rattle on the hub as some other hubs tend to do. The locking mechanism has tapered pins, which being spring-loaded prevent any loose steering or rattling. I hate rattles, and it would suck to have loose steering after all the crap I went though replacing my steering rack.

Of the two kits they offer, I chose the locking kit for street use which requires a key in order to remove the wheel. This is a double plus as I don't risk popping the wheel off in traffic and risking the lives of others, and it allows me to leave the windows down if I park briefly in the summer without worry about somebody simply quick-releasing my expensive wheel off and into their own vehicle

Then there is the matter of adapting the Tekniq snap off system to the steering column. Tekniq offers their own hub that mounts directly to both components, but I chose to purchase the Momo hub which requires an adapter in order to mount to the Tekniq unit. Confusing I know. But I basically wanted the adapter to further space the wheel from the colum as I need it to be as close to me as possible. The adapter, and Tekniq unit spaced the wheel another 2" closer to me. Due to the angle of the steering column, it spaced the wheel upwards at the same time, which worked out great as the smaller diameter wheel was blocking my vision since my head is up brushing against the headliner in my seating position (I'm all upper body).

So, good things all around. The Momo Tuner wheel feels amazing in my hands giving excellent control of the wheel. The Tekniq hub works flawlessly, and is very easy to use. I still to this day take my wheel inside the house with me at home when leaving the car outside overnight.

There is ONE downside. As a result of my excessive spacing, the steering column stalks are difficult to use. I have to use the turn signals and wiper controls with my fingertips, so I'll need to fabricate levers with different bends to bring them closer. However I've never since turned on my wipers or signals while driving aggressively

Momo wheel installed with Momo hub only:

Tekiq snap-off system with Momo hub adapter:

Complete hub assembly installed. I'd like to see the look on a thief's face when he sees this!

Wheel installed:

Jason

'88 Zinno M3
              '78 IHC Scout II
              '99 Ducati 996

Comment

Working...
              X