accelerator cable sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accelerator cable sticking

My accelerator cable has developed some play and this causes the throttle to randomly stick open. The rubber grommet/bushing that goes around the cable and between the mounting bracket is also almost completely severed further exaggerating the problem.

Is there a way to tighten the cable or should I replace?

I also looked up the parts diagram and it looks like I can replace the rubber grommet has anyone done this?

help a brother out

Also check to make sure the cruise control cable is not getting hung up on the bent metal clip on the shock tower.
    sigpic

Comment

You can replace the rubber grommets, but it is usually the alignment on top of the intake plenum there is a clip that keeps it straight the last 2" which is where it gets stuck as well as the shock tower as aforementioned.
      Rich!

Comment

Indeed the cables were binding on eachother. I fixed that problem by sliding the separator down.

Here is a look at the grommet

The cable just seems like it has too much play in it, shouldn't it be tight?

Comment

Replace the grommet, this will help out the cable quite a bit. Then adjust the cable as necessary so there is no play.
          Chris
          90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

How do i adjust the cable, just turn the hex collar?

Comment

Yup.
              Chris
              90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

appreciate all the info

Comment

If your cable is the original cable, then it may be good to just replace the whole thing. I paid something like $30 for a new cable.

Here is my thread. http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...light=throttle

- Gabor
                  October 1987 build date.

Comment

When adjusting your cable make sure you maintain some clearance between the throttle linkage and the stop at full throttle.

Jake

Comment

and get the cable clips!

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                      they are not idiots.

Comment

I just replaced mine, $26 from Bavauto. BIG difference in driveability and throttle response, car is not so jumpy off the line and easier to get rolling on a steep hill. I didn't realize how badly shot the old one was (original), I think the delrin liner falls apart inside after a while. I replaced mine for cosmetic reasons bit it was really a nice change, reused the OE red bushings too.

Comment

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What is that thin metal piece that goes around the throttle cabling which I'm pointing at with the blue arrows?? I need that tool, I'm also having similar issues but that looks exactly like the solution I need.

Comment

Here you go...CLICK

Comment

Originally posted by 88MPOWER View Post
                              Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What is that thin metal piece that goes around the throttle cabling which I'm pointing at with the blue arrows?? I need that tool, I'm also having similar issues but that looks exactly like the solution I need.

That is the solution... keep & reuse it.
                              Rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X