E30 M3 Skid plate? Has anyone seen these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 Skid plate? Has anyone seen these

I saw this on E-Bay and was wondering if this ahs any real function. Has anyone installed one of these on there car?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...QQcmdZViewItem

Mike
    sigpic

it's an reg E30 tranny skid plate. I've never seen it on an M3, so I doubt it works on our cars.

Dan
    Dan

12/87 Zinnoberrot
    3/87 Henna

Comment

M

Thanks Dan.
      sigpic

Comment

I try and stay on the road, so no interest here..............
        They seem to pop up on egay all the time.
        I doubt if its sturdy enough for a rally car?
        I cant think of an application where it would come in handy?
        Light off road use?:battle: :battle:

Comment

it seems to be very thin to me...

check this out, maybe they can make a custom one for the m3?

http://store.666fabrication.com/e30-skidplat.html

Comment

Originally posted by NSXM3 View Post
            I cant think of an application where it would come in handy?
            Light off road use?:battle: :battle:
            M3's that are lowered could use these, especially those of us that have to travel upon busted up city streets infested with potholes and asphalt hills.

Comment

Went for $50,00!
              Let us know how it works out!

Comment

I did'nt pick it up. When i saw it looked like cheap insurance for these damn NY streets.

Vlad thanks for the link, i gotta make a trip to see these guys i like there work.
                sigpic

Comment

That is not a skid plate but a heat shield coming from an E30 with an M40...

Comment

No it is definitely NOT a heat shield, although I wouldn't really call it a skid plate plate either. More of a protection plate. It mounts behind the front subframe and really only protects the bell housing of the transmission. It would stop sticks, small rocks, turtles, etc, but no way is it strong enough to skid the bottom of the car over a manhole, curb, or edge of pavement. If I have time tonight, I'll snap a pic of the one on the bottom of my 325i.

Comment

Not being happy with what was out there for skid plates and the need to have something beefy to protect my big oil pan for the upcoming Targa Newfoundland rally, me, my co-driver and fabricator came up with a reverse x-brace (e36) type of skid plate as seen here:

Since I know of some others that have damaged oil pans on both the street and going off track, we were going to start making some of these once we test it out in Newfoundland and get the underpanel installed.

If anyone is interested, let me know, but these won't be available till end of Sept as we leave for our big advenure in only 2 weeks and the list of things to do is still huge!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                      X