Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downsides to using an Evo 2 flywheel for a daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsides to using an Evo 2 flywheel for a daily driver?

I'm going to be getting a new flywheel and will most likely get the Evo 2 12lb. flywheel. Those that have them, do they cause alot of extra rattle from the transmission, or poor idling problems? My transmission already has the characteristic Getrag rattle now with the stock flywheel, so I just worry if it may get on my nerves having it rattle louder than now. The car is my daily driver for now and doesn't see much track time.

Also, the cheapest place I've seen them is motorsport imports, has anyone seen them cheaper elsewhere?

thanks for the input

sorry, not sure of the answer to your question, but I have a related question. How does TurnerMotorsports flywheel compare to the Evo 2 flywheel in terms of streetability and performance...I know that the TMS flywheel is 3 lbs lighter than Evo 2 (8lbs total). I will be replacing my clutch and flywheel sometime close to the end of the year. Also...should I go with the HD clutch or stock. Thanks a lot!
    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

The stock 2.3 definitely does not need the HD clutch unless you're making frequent trips to the drag strip.

I've been in a few M3's with the E2/E3 light weight flywheel and I can't say I heard any more noise from the gear box than typical. A completely drivable set up on the street.

I have no experiance with the 8lb MPD flywheel that Turner or many others sell. But it sounds like fun!

HTH,
      Jake Larsen
      Last edited by Jake; 10-26-2003, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I have the evo2 12 lb flywheel, just like Jake mentioned I haven't heard any difference from the stock flywheel. I think once I need a clutch in the future , I going to go with the 8 lb TMS flywheel. I think that may make a slight rattle do to the fact its made of aluimnum. John

Comment

I have the EVO flywheel and it's fine for the street. No driveability problems and it made the car feel much more lively. It also revs really quickly in 1st & 2nd gear. There is some gearbox rattle at idle, but with all of the other noises it's easy to quickly overlook.
          Ron

Comment

I have the aluminum flywheel from Turner (8 pounds I think) and there is definitely noticably more gear noise than there was before. I wouldn't really say it is objectionable, you only notice it at idle as kind of a "whirring" noise that goes away if you push in the clutch.

Unlike most, I didn't notice a huge difference in the way the car drives with the new lighter flywheel. It revs maybe very slightly faster, is maybe slightly more responsive, and is also slightly easier to stall leaving a red light:rolleyes:

I don't have strong feelings about it good or bad.

Comment

Was it worth it? Or was it just a nice upgrade?

Comment

In my opinion, for the money, it is not worth it. If I had a good stock flywheel I would probably stick with that. If I needed a new flywheel, I might buy the light one again or maybe the EVO one.

Maybe I am dense, I just don't notice much difference with the light one.

Comment

The E2 wheel is definitely going to be a more sane, quieter, easier-to-drive flywheel than an aluminum wheel, but it is my feeling that an 8lb aluminum wheel is the way to go if you want a light flywheel. The aluminum unit will be a little harder to launch from a dead stop, but after a couple days of practice it becomes second nature.. It is also true that you will experience more gear rattle from the lighter 8lb unit due to its decreased ability to dampen the tranny, but since when was an E30 M3 quiet! Especially that solid-lifter S14!

The advantages of a lightweight flywheel are many, especially on a 4 cylinder like the S14. The factory wheel probably weighs, what, 20lbs? The purpose of the flywheel is to dampen vibrations from the gearbox that cause annoying rattle, as well as to provide inertia to keep the engine running at idle. A heavier wheel is quieter and provides a smoother idle, but the effects are unfortunate.

By going to a LTW fly your motor will spool up much quicker in the lower gears- mostly 1st and 2nd, which translates into a FASTER car. In addition, the LTW fly assists braking performance as well. Picture it: You're coming fast into a corner and the engine is rotating at a given rpm.. the flywheel is spinning at this same rpm and simple physics tell you that it wants to stay spinning at that rpm. Thus, you have to decelerate the engine under braking to slow the car. The LTW fly builds less rotational inertia so it is spools down as quick as it spools up, allowing you to brake in shorter distances. Finally, the LTW fly, because of its ability to spool quickly it assists in rev-matching. A lighter application of throttle is required to boost the rpm to the matching amount.

I say go aluminum.. you wont regret it. It is, in my opinion, one of the best modifications you can do. It really makes the car more fun.
                  Alex McHenry

Comment

There are no real downsides...it's a genuine factory part intended for street cars. You may notice slightly more tranny noise at idle - this hurts nothing but could freak you out if you didn't expect it...it's not loud by any means. The car will feel slightly peppier in the lowest gears, and it helps with throttle blips for downshifts.

I wouldn't suggest changing out your flywheel unless you had to go in there for some reason anyway.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                    X