Serious hesitation and stumpling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious hesitation and stumpling problem

First I would like to thank the ones responsible for running this great site. I am a new member and it has already helped with my e30 m3 considerably.

I have the car running but I am experiencing a severe hesitation problem when the car reaches the normal operating temperature. It stumples and acts like it is lacking fuel delivery. Consequently, I replaced both fuel pumps and filter. I just ordered a new fuel pressure regulator, Bosh spark plugs, fuel temp sensor, oxygen sensor and coolant temp sensor. I am hoping that maybe someone else has had a similar problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Next I plan on probably replacing the injectors if the problem still persists.:thank you
    Last edited by cash; 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM.

Hey Cash i think you posted in the wrong section. Try General area.

sigpic

Comment

Serious hesitation & stumpling problem

First I would like to thank the ones responsible for running this great website. I am a new member and it has already helped with my e30 m3 considerably. I presently own that car and a 2004 M3 convertible. I just love the e30 M3 though. That car is something special!

Unfortunately I posted this in the wrong section. Thanks to the member who pointed this out.

Anyway, my car is up and running but I am experiencing a severe hesitation problems when the car reaches the normal operating temp. It stumples and acts like it is not receiving fuel. I have since replaced both fuel pumps and the filter with no improvements. The car has brand new spark plugs, wires, rotor, etc. I just ordered a new fuel pressure regulator, Bosh spark plugs again, fuel temp sensor, oxygen sensor and coolant temp sensor. I am hoping someone else has had a similar problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If these replacements don't work, I am planning on replacing the injectors. This car is killing my pocket!

Comment

Fuel temp sensor?

Yes, throwing parts and hoping it fixes the problem will kill a pocket book.

Comment

Have you actually replaced the coolant temp sensor or just ordered it? With those symptoms that should be the first thing to try. You may have spent more money on parts than you needed to. Although, depending on mileage it's a good idea to replace those other things anyhow.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately sometimes finding a problem calls for such a measure. I have a code reader and it gives me no fault codes. Where do you go from there? This is the first car to have me stumped!

Comment

Code reader won't work on e30 M3s. There are no codes. You can probably use it to reset the service lights, but that's about it. Try the coolant temp sensor. If that doesn't do it then move on from there. Remember KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). Not saying you're stupid, just a good mantra to live by as an e30 M3 owner.

Comment

When the car is at temp:
                1, dark smoke out of tail pipe?
                2, colour, scent and quantity of exhaust smoke?
                3, appearance of newly installed plugs?
                4, Is the main fuel pump running consistently? ie, a hissing sound, or is it whining?

if you have replaced the blue coolant temp sensor, did you check that the wiring is intact? The wiring within 8" of the terminal plug suffers from the heat coming off the header.

m

Comment

Cap/rotor, ignition wires and check the three relays on the firewall (passenger side underneath a plastic cover). Check the the relays for blue or brownish discoloration on the relay prongs. The discoloration could indicate a failing relay. That was the problem with my car anyway....
                  “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
                  Jeremy Clarkson - BBC Top Gear
                  sigpic

Comment

could also be an air leak, check all the vaccum lines

Comment

Why would the code reader not work on the e30 m3? When I purchased it from Bavauto it was specifically for the e30 m3. This is the first time I am ever hearing this. Has anyone else heard this? Andrew, not that I don't believe you.

Comment

E30 M3s do NOT store codes. They are OBD exempt.

Comment

Those bastards at Bavauto neglected to tell me this! Now I'm pissed!

Comment

Cash, Did you fix your hesitation? What solved it?
                            -Darren

Comment

No, I still have not fixed my hesitation problem. I am really frustrated and about to pack it in for 2007.
                              Any suggestions?

Hungry seems to have a similar problem. I don't think he sorted his out either.

Comment

Working...
                              X