Electric Cooling Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Cooling Fan

Who's running them? Which one are you using (maker, part #)? I'm thinking about doing this to free up some more parasitic drag from the engine, but would like to know who is using what....and what fits. I've already performed a search and didn't come up with much. TIA!!!!

Where we should be....driving our M3's side by side.

My M3 only has the electric fan, as delivered from BMW.

Jake Larsen

Comment

I'm talking aftermarket fans, mainly puller on the engine side.

Where we should be....driving our M3's side by side.

Comment

I'm planning on using a Bosch, with a thermoswitch/relay kit from Summit or Jegs, plus a user switchable to 12v if It is not efficient enough.

As Jake says, the Euro market cars were never equipped with the clutch fan.
        The Euro set up makes me nervous as the engine is in line and not presenting much surface area to the (hopefully) cool airstream.
        m.

Comment

doug! i have the part number for the one we saw on that henna m3. the clean one from summit racing. ill get you the numbers when i get home.
          "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Hey Doug,
            I put on a 14" Spal (#30100385). There are other Spal models with higher airflow, but this one had the highest flow for the least current draw and thinnest size.
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rongineer
              Hey Doug,
              I put on a 14" Spal (#30100385). There are other Spal models with higher airflow, but this one had the highest flow for the least current draw and thinnest size.
              Ron
              Very cool. I need to do this. Did you need to fabricate brackets? Any tips on how you wired it in? I know everyone says "just wire it to the thermostat". But some specifics would be helpful.

Comment

Hey Doug,
                Ron

AHHAHA, thats the one im talking about
                "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Mick,
                  I used the Spal mounting brackets to mount the fan to the original holes on the sides of the radiator.

The fan is switched by a relay. I ran a power wire back to the battery. Put a 10 amp in-line fuse in the wire near the battery. This power wire is connected to terminal 30 on the typical Bosch auto relay. The normally open terminal, 87, is connected to the fan motor, the other side of the motor grounded to one of the body grounds. You could connect directly to the output on the alternator, the wiring would be shorter. There may be other sources, but I just went directly to the source (battery) with a fused connection.

As for switching the relay to turn the fan on, people usually talk about connecting to the OE fan switch. This results in the switch turning on the fan with the OE auxillary fan in front of the radiator. This seems like closing the gate after the horse left, and I preferred to use the fan to maintain temperatures before they got high enough to require the auxillary fan. So I connected the relay (terminal 85, terminal 86 is grounded) to the brake light switch because wanted the Spal fan to run while I'm sitting at a stoplight! I put a electronic timer in the line so that the fan delays coming on until 5 seconds after the brake pedal is pressed. This avoids the fan coming on while driving every time the brakes are used! Using the fan this way is why I selected one with a lower current draw.

For stop and go situations I added a manual switch. It's connected in parallel with the brake switch so either one turns on the fan. I modified a hazard switch and put in place of the radio fader control which was already disconnected in my car. It was pretty involved to modify the switch, and if I did it over I would study the possibility of using the A/C switch (perhaps adding the ability to switch two different fan speeds using a fan resistor, but enough already!!)

Hope this helps.
                  Ron

Comment

Dam Ron.... That's great! Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. What did you use for the delay timer?
                    -Mick

Comment

A few of my friends are running the Fluidyne Electric fan.
                      14" thin puller fan, flows about 1700cfm.
                      easy to mount. Price is $105 for the fan.

here are some pictures of the install
                      http://www.udm-motorsport.com/fluidy...yneinstall.htm

Thanks
                      Franklin
                      Franklin Joseph
                      04 Z4
                      03 X5
                      95 M3

Comment

I'm looking to pick up the Spal as my car does not have the pull fan.

SKU: 30100385
                        Mfg Part #: VA08-AP10/C-23A
                        Price: $68.90
                        In Stock: Yes
                        Which Spal mounting brackets did you guys use?
                        Universal Fan Mounting Kit SPAL 30130011
                        Fan Mounting Pin Kit SPAL 30130013
                        Fan Mounting Bracket - Style 1 SPAL 30130010
                        Fan Mounting Bracket - Style 2 SPAL 30130017
                        Fan Mounting Bracket - Style 3 SPAL 30130032
                        Fan Mounting Bracket - Style 4 SPAL 30130033
                        and which wiring kit?
                        Compatible with FRH, 185FH, and 195FH wiring kits
                        http://www.jaycorptech.com/showprodu...3&categoryid=2
                        www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

I'm ordering the 14" slim Pull Spal fan today with the 185degree thermostat wiring kit. Assuming the thermo does its job, I shouldn't need a switch in the cockpit, although I would at least like some indication as to when it is turned on. I might wire up an indicator or something.

The PO removed the mechanical fan and my M runs hot as Hades in traffic.

I can take pics during the install if people are interested.
                          www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

Hey Doug,
                            Ron

I just bought one like that, 14", except mine is a pusher. I liked the (low) 10A current draw. I'm incorporating a switch into my breaker panel to allow me to over-ride the M800 and turn the fan off, like for an auto-x run.

I got mine from the "Fan Man". Goofy name I know, but good prices and fast delivery on just about any Spal fan.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/inde...4f1af2e301176f

Gustave

Comment

I too have this SPAL fan. Not to be overly repetetive, but here are the parts I purchased:

SPAL 14" Slim Fan - Pull Version 30100385
                              Universal Fan Mounting Kit 30130011
                              Fan Wire Harness Kit with Relay FRH

I bought a simple switch with a built in LED to indicate on or off and used that inline on the relay to turn the fan on and off. Not temp controled for me. I watch my temp guage like a hawk after an overheating incident years ago.

Hey Doug,
                              Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X