Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC removal

Hey guys,
    This saturday I'm gonna get the AC outta my car. Me and my buddy ( who works at a bmw shop ) evaluated it today to see what tools he would need to bring over. Are there any special tools required or is it pretty straight forward? How long did it take you to remove?

Thanks,
    Chris

"Unlike the latter day E36 and E46 M3's, the
    original E30 M3ís main purpose in life was to
    win races on the track, not the street. It
    got the job done."

No special tools required, just big open-ended wrenches to crack open the swaged fittings on the A/C lines, and small wrenches to get the aux. fan off of the A/C condenser.

I only removed the components forward of the main bulkhead, and if I had to do it again it would probably take 1-1.5hrs max. The biggest issue I had was a seized bolt holding the aux. fan onto the A/C condenser.

-Nick

Comment

Nick, did you remove the condensor?

got the job done."

Comment

Yup, I removed the condenser...once you remove the front bumper and grilles, there is plenty of access to all of the stuff forward of the radiator.

Comment

guys, need a little help here.
          what did you do with the drying container? (number 18 here)

Also, I'm getting rid of the aux fan for now, so can I just cut the wires? I plan on getting a spal unit so can I just use one of their wiring kits?

got the job done."

Comment

Originally posted by CeeP View Post
            guys, need a little help here.
            what did you do with the drying container? (number 18 here)

Also, I'm getting rid of the aux fan for now, so can I just cut the wires? I plan on getting a spal unit so can I just use one of their wiring kits?
            I removed the dryer (#18) too.

Cheers, Daniel.
            - 1987 M3 (e30)
            -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
            - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

Comment

Thanks beast, just removed it. Did you get my pm?

got the job done."

Comment

Thanks beast, just removed it. Did you get my pm?
                PM responded to.

Also, I removed the evaporator behind the heater core. I tore out all of my bowden cables, blower, and pretty much everything else behind the center-console, so access was not a problem for me (my heater core had already been removed by a previous owner). The A/C evaporator is a pretty big piece (weighs maybe 5 or 6 pounds). If you don't have A/C anymore, there is no need to keep it in there. You could in theory mount a nice stealthy subwoofer in there instead. :jakeroutine:

Cheers, Daniel.
                - 1987 M3 (e30)

Comment

So I took out the windshield wiper fluid container and now I'm getting a check light up top. Is there any way around this? I'm also getting a check engine light, would this be a result of removing the windshield wiper fluid container?

got the job done."

Comment

So I took out the windshield wiper fluid container and now I'm getting a check light up top. Is there any way around this? I'm also getting a check engine light, would this be a result of removing the windshield wiper fluid container?
                    Control panel light is expected since by removing the bottle, you have also removed the sensor that is stuck into the side of the bottle that measures the fluid level. You should be able to rewire the cable that plugs into the water level sensor, so that the light goes out on the control panel.

I am not sure why you have a check engine light, as I can't see how it could be related to the washer fluid bottle.

Cheers, Daniel.
                    - 1987 M3 (e30)

Comment

[QUOTE=BeastPower;261340]Control panel light is expected since by removing the bottle, you have also removed the sensor that is stuck into the side of the bottle that measures the fluid level. You should be able to rewire the cable that plugs into the water level sensor, so that the light goes out on the control panel.
                      QUOTE]

Daniel is right. To make the washer fluid level go out, you just need to short the 2 pins of the washer fluid level sensor plug.
                      Dominic

Comment

newb question, how do I do that? Solder the two wires together?

got the job done."

Comment

newb question, how do I do that? Solder the two wires together?
                          That would work. One of the wires is brown and the other is blue. The brown one actually connects to ground. So, you could also just connect the blue wire to another ground point if that is easier for some reason.
                          Dominic

Comment

another weird thing is that once i hit the check button on the check panel the check light in the instrument cluster turns off. Does the button simply reset the check lights and I should still worry about the check light blinking?

got the job done."

Comment

another weird thing is that once i hit the check button on the check panel the check light in the instrument cluster turns off. Does the button simply reset the check lights and I should still worry about the check light blinking?
                              The check button resets the cluster warning. The check panel will stay lit until the appropriate fix is done. Like a brake light out or washer fluid level, etc..
                              "Never lift"

Comment

Working...
                              X