Motor Mounts with CF airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mounts with CF airbox

The guys out there that have the CF Airbox, What are you guys using for motor mounts? How are you avoiding the hood rubbing on the airbox? Im using the urethane mounts but im having a tough time adjusting the height on the driver side mount, Is there something simpler?:lostme:

Thanks
    -Tony-
    1991 M3 10Km
    1989 M3
    BEGINS HERE

I have stock mounts with CF airbox and the box rubs on the hood LINING but not the hood so I just cut out the square where it was rubbing. Rather have an ugly spot on the insulation than the airbox.
    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Try this one.:idea:

http://s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21555

HTH,

Rey
      "Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're ALIVE or that you really LIVE...." - Rise Against

Comment

I just gave the hood reinforcement a little love tap with a mallet. Backwoods? Yes. Effective, barely noticable, free? Yes.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          I just gave the hood reinforcement a little love tap with a mallet. Backwoods? Yes. Effective, barely noticable, free? Yes.

Jake
          :wee:
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Ive also heard that using the stock M3 mount on the drivers side, and a M5 mount on the passenger side. Anyone have this thats solved the rubbing?
            -Tony-
            1991 M3 10Km
            1989 M3
            BEGINS HERE

Comment

IIRC Irelands urethane mounts lower the motor a 1/4''

Comment

That's what it says on their website but I just talked to Jeff Ireland today and he said they are marginally lower uninstalled, but because the stock ones compress and theirs don't, it comes out very close in the end.
                "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I made my mounts 74mm high and they compress next to nothing.
                  can't comment on the airbox, cos I have a very large early type and that doesn't clear the bonnet at all. I cut a whole section out of the frame

HTH

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

They way I see it is I'd rather give the hood a little clearancing before moving the engine around. Consider also that you may run into clearance problems with the master cylinder if you try to lower it.

I would not take the engine out of alignment with different mounts to fix the problem.

Jake

Comment

I have the 740 mounts and I don't have any issues. No rubbing on the hood or the master cylinder.

I have the type 2 large runner box from John.

HTH
                      1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Working...
                      X