Main/Fuel Pump relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main/Fuel Pump relays

Do you guys replace these as preventative maintenance items? Or at least keep spares in your car? It seems that a lot of them go bad after a while.

It is all about how much you want to spend. On a 20 year old car, most components could do with a refreshing. On my list of priorities, these relays are probably half way down the list, unless they are faulty.

Cheers, Daniel.
    - 1987 M3 (e30)
    -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
    - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

Comment

Absolutely.... After getting my car "ready" for a 2600 mile trek to Texas for O'Fest- these were on the list of "PM parts" to be replaced as mine were originals.

The new relays are in-expensive & well worth the "extra" piece of mind. I keep the old relays in the car "just in case".

Don McAdams
      1988 E30 M3
      "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Inexpensive!?! I got quoted 40 bucks each! :(

I would have figured 10 bucks or less per relay. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, does anyone have part #'s on these? I was unable to determine which relays they were from RealOEM.

Comment

Relay's Behind Coolant Expansion Tank:

Relay Location/ Use-Function/ Part #/ List Price:
          • Passengers Side (Evaporative Purge Valve Relay) 13-90-1-311-772 $38.85
          • Middle (Main Relay) 12-63-1-279-004 $22.55
          • Drivers Side (Fuel Pump Relay) 61-36-1-378-238 {superceded to: 61-36-8-373-700} $10.20
          Don McAdams
          1988 E30 M3
          "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Originally posted by D///M3 View Post
            Relay's Behind Coolant Expansion Tank:

• Passengers Side (Evaporative Purge Valve Relay) 13-90-1-311-772 $38.85
            • Middle (Main Relay) 12-63-1-279-004 $22.55
            • Drivers Side (Fuel Pump Relay) 61-36-1-378-238 {superceded to: 61-36-8-373-700} $10.20

Can anyone post a definitive set of modern part #’s for these three relays?

For example, the part # for the passengers side relay in this post does not come up when I Google it.

I pulled the old blue relay (passenger side) out of my car, turns out it has a manufacturing date of 6/86 on it....... !!!!!

And, that part number is NLA - 61311373916.

Then I pulled the orange driver’s side relay out of the car (manufactured 18/87), and that part number is NLA too - 61311375474.

So what I want to do is buy 3 brand new relays, and replace them.

Would appreciate the 3 correct modern part #’s, if anyone can share them.

Comment

Pelican shows 61361378238 as available

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-1-378-238-M14

I was also able to find the following on eBay.

1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
                Pelican shows 61361378238 as available

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-1-378-238-M14

I was also able to find the following on eBay.

Sure, I can dig around on eBay for NOS or used ones. But I’m hoping there are some modern part #’s that I can use to buy brand new stuff.

Comment

Doubtful you will find any. Here is an example - post #5 explains it.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ge-valve-relay

Granted it is just one example but many of these relays were application specific. Some were used in BMW's motorcycle line, but like the automotive examples are NLA.

I think your best bet at this point is NOS.
                  1990 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
                    Doubtful you will find any. Here is an example - post #5 explains it.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ge-valve-relay

Granted it is just one example but many of these relays were application specific. Some were used in BMW's motorcycle line, but like the automotive examples are NLA.

I think your best bet at this point is NOS.
                    Fair enough. I appreciate the effort, thank you!!!

Comment

There's nothing special about the fuel pump relay or the main relay. When buying a relay just compare the electrical diagram on the side of the relay and match the circuit and the pin orientation. You can actually use a 5 pin relay for the fuel pump, and you can also use a spare main relay for the fuel pump. The socket has a slot for the 5th pin. There just isn't a wire connected to it so that circuit simply isn't used.

Pelican has several that will work. https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg5.htm#item21 I bought the Vemo multi-purpose 5-prong relay and it fit for both the fuel pump and main relays.

The evaporator purge valve relay on the other hand was a bit unique. The original relay that came with the car was purple, and it wasn't anything special. However, it also caused my car to diesel when I tried to turn off the engine. Years ago when the car was still a supported used car BMW issued a service bulletin for an updated relay to solve the problem. That relay also has a square base like the other relays, but is taller and black. As I understand it, it keeps the purge valve closed for a few seconds after switching off to make sure fuel vapor from the canister isn't drawn into the engine as it switches off causing the dieseling problem.

Comment

This whole relay thing has me confused, but here is what is in my car (1990).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Relays.JPG
Views:	4697
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1288335
                        From a previous post:

Relays Behind Coolant Expansion Tank:

Passengers Side (Evaporative Purge Valve Relay) 13-90-1-311-772
                        Middle (Main Relay) 12-63-1-279-004
                        Drivers Side (Fuel Pump Relay) 61-36-1-378-238 (superseded to: 61-36-8-373-700)

I can confirm the Evap Purge Valve Relay P/N as correct. We know this relay to be NLA.

If in fact the center relay is the MAIN RELAY my car shows a different relay P/N (0332014135) which is still available. My car runs perfectly so I am assuming this is a correct main relay P/N. The P/N listed in the previous post (12-63-1-279-004) is still available. I am hesitant to pull my relay to compare as I don't want to "F" anything up.

Which brings us to the Orange Fuel Pump Relay (61-36-1-378-238). I have a spare one as well as the part that supposedly supersedes it (61-36-8-373-700). They are slightly different both in color and number of prongs. The picture below will illustrate. The orange relay (on the right) has 4 prongs while the green relay on the left has 5 prongs. The extra (middle) prong is lshown as 87 on the side of the relay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pump Relays (2).JPG
Views:	1304
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1288336

I consulted my Bentley manual but it was useless. Use this information as you may. I will put all these in a box and keep them in my car. Hopefully I'll never have to use them!
                        1990 M3

Comment

I changed these a few years ago and when you order from BMW you will get the green relay. You can break off the middle prong if you want - doesn’t matter cause it works either way.

Comment

I was able to dig up a new old stock blue relay, and then bought a new orange and a new white (replacement for silver) one. Swapped right in, and the car fired right up.

I noticed my old blue one had a lot of corrosion on it, around the bases of the pins. I did previously have a slight battery drain, so I wonder if that was part of it.

Anyway... great thread! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X