Intake snorkel Dia vs. EVO airbox intake Dia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake snorkel Dia vs. EVO airbox intake Dia

I am a new stock Euro E30 M3 owner from Argentina leaving in Ecuador and I know, I should search before I post. I have done so so many times (and I should say it's been really useful) that I feel I will never need to post a thread. Now I have a very simple question that I thought have been discussed at length but believe me I couldn't find anything by searching. The issue is discussed at Gustave's site and relates to the difference in diameters of both the intake snorkel and the EVO airbox intake. For me it is also a strange situation reason why I have completly taken out both the intake snorkel and the intake trumpet. Is that a good idea? Any reasonable solution has been find to the issue or the best way to go is to live it as it is: small snorkel diameter and bigger EVO airbox intake diameter? Thanks a lot.
    1987 E30 M3
    1992 E36 325i (race car)
    1983 E24 635csi (for restoration)

From your post it's not totally clear for me what you have done with the snorkel and the lower part of the intake box, but whichever pieces you are using make sure you get the air from outside and not from the engine bay. If you get hot air from engine bay it will decrease your performance much more than smaller diameter intake tubes.
    Last edited by rvuorenr; 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo of the EVO airbox and diameters:

Cheers, Daniel.
      - 1987 M3 (e30)
      -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
      - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

Comment

It may be a smaller diameter, but you are pulling cool air from behind the bumper rather than the hot air from the engine bay. I doubt you would want to hack away at the frame to get a bigger snorkel. If BMW put this on their EvoII, then I believe they got the size thing figured out.

Comment

I have an EVO airbox for sale.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Hi Uwe,
            you've got PM,
            cheers, Tim.

Comment

One of the first things I did to my car was cut the stock airbox up and attached a large 3" PVC tube to it. Most people toss these things out anyway so why not? It was ghetto but I'm sure it got more air to the filter. With the evo airbox you mind as well use the trumpet as well. It'll extend farther out and the trumpet will suck in air better.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I just got rid of everything upstream the 86mm Evo airbox intake. I took out all 70mm parts. Now, the intake is the Evo airbox intake and it sits just a few mm behind the radiator line but inside the engine bay and consequently not so fresh air. As I mentioned I just bought the car and was not able to try the differences. Next time at the track I will try to test both configurations and if any difference is evident I will let you guys know. Thanks a lot.
                1987 E30 M3
                1992 E36 325i (race car)
                1983 E24 635csi (for restoration)

Comment

Working...
                X