Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A first and last offer.........declined.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A first and last offer.........declined.

So I am prepping the car for winter in the driveway...just got done with a final wipe down and getting ready to cap the oil pan when a paving truck pulls up into the driveway. The guy introduces himself and tells me that he absolutely loves the car. He had one in the early 90's in which he sold and he has never had a "good" car since. He looks it over....wow, looks incredible. He asks me if the motor is stock....I pop the hood, his jaw drops (and I mention that it's a 2.5). We talk some more.......................this is not a joke.

He says....wait a minute and goes to his truck. Apparently I didn't look close enough because I now notice his wife or girlfriend in the truck. He is in there for about 2 minutes and gets out. Then his wife gets out. It turns out that she has an AMG benz (whole other story) but she looks at the car.....head to toe, underneath, everything. Meanwhile, the guy hasn't said a word the entire time. She looks at the interior......looks at the motor....turns to me ans says, I'll go to the bank and give you $40K for your car right now if you want to sell.

My face goes white....I get a buring sensation in my stomach.....

"Wow....I am glad that you love the car but, um...um (stuttering) it's not really, I mean....I haven't really given much thought to selling it."

Well...my offer is good...here is my number and email address. I live in town so I am only 5 minutes from you. Just let me know....

Lost for words...................but, I cannot and will not sell it.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me in this car. :OMG:

Don't let your wife know this, or she will make you sell it
    Last edited by d2a4; 11-28-2007, 11:28 AM.
    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
    Born date 01/88
    Ryan

Comment

I would sell in a heartbeat... do you really have 40K invested in your car?
      Mark Williams
      Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Those situations are nice because you get the feeling you are on the right track with the M.

I received 3 offers in the last 2 months and said no to all of them. The highest offer I received was $12k (which very few people will offer here in CR), I can't imagine my face if someone offers me $40k.

Glad you're keeping it Floss!
        Doug
        San Jose, Costa Rica

Comment

Could you put another car together (as good as yours...) for $40K?... think about it (!) The offer sounds *great* but you have a lot of work into it John!

Your car is pretty much all dialed in John

Don McAdams
          1988 E30 M3
          "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

My take on it is...2 years from now the money will be gone somewhere else, perhaps another car (and likely new furniture or carpets etc with the balance), and then you'll be wishing you had it back.
            Jim

Comment

I'm ready to sell forward me the number
              ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Take the 40K. Liquidity is king right now. You could buy or build another one for less.

Take the emotion out of it and fall in love with the numbers.
                "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by D///M3 View Post
                  Could you put another car together (as good as yours...) for $40K?... think about it (!) The offer sounds *great* but you have a lot of work into it John!

Your car is pretty much all dialed in John

That exactly what I thought. I believe John put a lot of heart and soul (& blood) into the car. :chug:
                  Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                  Born date 01/88
                  Ryan

Comment

Maybe it was your wife testing you.:ha:

John, you got way too much time and money invested in the car. You'll be sorry if you let her go.

Comment

It goes to show you that these cars have a soul. With $40K you could get another pristine condition one, do a 2.5L conversion AND take a vacation in Monaco for a week but yet you didn't because letting it go would be like letting your dog go.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Ive had many offers none above 15k. 40k that is an insane offer. Aside from the time spent, how much $ do you figure you have put into it? I would take that in a heartbeat that is a rare occasion. On the other hand imagine what kind of crazy offers will be thrown around in 10 years.

Comment

if you like the car do not sell, i am sure its all paid for, and do not need the money to feed the kid (s), life its not about money, its about having things that you can enjoy, sell the car+spend the money= no car and no money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougy Fresh View Post
                            On the other hand imagine what kind of crazy offers will be thrown around in 10 years.

Listen to him, he is right ! I bought my car for almost for 10k, last week i had a little paper in my widescreen saying "call me please" i called the guy, and he just said, 20k and i don't need to try it and take it tonight ! I said no !

But in your case i would think at least a little more, in the 10 next years noone will give you 40k, i think with 40k, you can rebuilt a prestine one, and have some savings !

Think about it 2 times.

Good luck it's not an easy decision !

Comment

I'd sell my cabrio for 40k, that's about how much I spent on it, but I would invest the money into another build-up :

Comment

Working...
                              X