CO question for those who run stock AFM & Lambda Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO question for those who run stock AFM & Lambda Gauge

Does anybody know if in the WOT condition an s14 engine has to be rich or lean in the range from 1000 to 7260 rpm (rev limiter?).

I'm not saying what i do know about this topic to don't cloud your answers :wee:

I'm asking this particullary for those who have a lamdba sensor and a lambda gauge connected to monitor CO on the fly, like me.

Thanks
    power is nothing without drift

Hi Francisco,

I see rich in the entire rev range at WOT. AFR ranging from 12.5 (+/- 0.2) to 13.7 (+/- 0.4). The lower values for the lower rev range and the higher for +6000rpm.
    I cant say anything about carbon monoxide (CO) however and I doubt anyone can as even on a rolling road the measuring equipment will be too slow to give accurate readings when accelerating through the rev range at WOT.
    HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
      Hi Francisco,

I see rich in the entire rev range at WOT. AFR ranging from 12.5 (+/- 0.2) to 13.7 (+/- 0.4). The lower values for the lower rev range and the higher for +6000rpm.
      I cant say anything about carbon monoxide (CO) however and I doubt anyone can as even on a rolling road the measuring equipment will be too slow to give accurate readings when accelerating through the rev range at WOT.
      HTH.

Right, thanks. It was only to make sure that my AFM is still alive.
      And what CO do you have in the idle condition?

Can you tell me what's the output of the lambda sensor in Volts?

Comment

CO at idle on a non-cat S14 is 1.0% +/- 0.5% max.
        I cant tell what sensor voltage is then, as I run a wideband sensor, but it's either swinging between 0 and 1V or between 0 and 5V.

check out http://www.m3-320is.it/ for original data in italian, but you probably have that already.

Comment

CO at idle on a non-cat S14 is 1.0% +/- 0.5% max.
          I cant tell what sensor voltage is then, as I run a wideband sensor, but it's either swinging between 0 and 1V or between 0 and 5V.

check out http://www.m3-320is.it/ for original data in italian, but you probably have that already.
          Well my cat-less 320is CO has never swinged nor with AFM or Alpha-n.
          The point is that today i reinstall AFM just for comparison and the AFR is lean all the way in the WOT range.
          I've tried to rotate the plastic gear to enrich the mixture but it was useless.
          Also, after a day on the run, now it is stalling when i hit the 80% of the load causing the engine to hesitate.
          It was a stock bosch AFM, refurbished with the well know FRwilk procedure.

With Alpha-n it is OK.

The output is 230 - 1350 Ohm (pins 4 (or named 6) and 2 (or 7) and the base resistance (4 - 3 or 6-9) reads 570 Ohm.
          The base resistance is still within specifications (500 - 1100), but not the output that should be (according to the M3 e30 manual) 8 - 2500.
          Or they mean that the output has to be INSIDE the 8-2500 range?
          Last edited by france320isco; 12-02-2007, 06:33 AM.

Comment

the CO doesnt swing, that's correct. I was trying to say that the voltage coming from the stock lambda sensor does so when the mixture is stoichiometric (AFR 14.7).

I would understand too, that it would vary from 8 ohms all the way to 2500 ohms from flap moved from one end to the other but perhaps it's fine as long as the range is within this 8-2500 ohms range.
            I dont know any resistances but I read 4.7 volts across pin 4 (ground) and pin 2 (signal) at WOT on the autobahn @ 6800 rpm.

Comment

the CO doesnt swing, that's correct. I was trying to say that the voltage coming from the stock lambda sensor does so when the mixture is stoichiometric (AFR 14.7).

I would understand too, that it would vary from 8 ohms all the way to 2500 ohms from flap moved from one end to the other but perhaps it's fine as long as the range is within this 8-2500 ohms range.
              I dont know any resistances but I read 4.7 volts across pin 4 (ground) and pin 2 (signal) at WOT on the autobahn @ 6800 rpm.
              Thanks for the tip.
              It should be useful to get all this tips toghether in this forum.

After my second post here, the car start hesitating at 80% load, it seemed due to excessive leaning.
              I tried to fix it testing the engine with two different ECUs and two AFMs, without results.

Yesterday night the car went down and din't start anymore. I pushed it in a park next where i live.

The luckiest thing is that it happens 30 meters across the building where i live.
              After the last run it went down with metallic sounds of detonation and it was leaning out as hell.
              I also tried to start the car without the AFM connected, but it didn't.
              My 320is was used to start with the AFM disconnected, i know it froma couple of errors that i made in the past :jakeroutine:.

So:

It isn't an AFM problem.
              Maybe the fuel pump :yowzah:
              or injectors (non stock but same size) :yowzah:

My mechanic is on his way right now :ha:

Comment

I too think that your fuel pump is broken as the car should start and idle without the AFM connected.
                Check if the fuel pump even runs when you bridge pin 30 and 87 in the fuel relay socket (behind the cover where the coolant expansion tank sits). You should clearly hear it running. If you dont, get a new pump.

Also check: do you have fuel in the tank and what's the battery voltage?

Comment

I too think that your fuel pump is broken as the car should start and idle without the AFM connected.
                  Check if the fuel pump even runs when you bridge pin 30 and 87 in the fuel relay socket (behind the cover where the coolant expansion tank sits). You should clearly hear it running. If you dont, get a new pump.

I think it's not a matter of empty tank cause when it gets empty it doesen't die all of a sudden, but with a series of hiccups and so on.
                  Yesterday night it is just dead all of a sudden.
                  I didn't check the buzzing sound of the pump cause it was too late but sure my mechanic will.
                  I'll let you know.

Comment

The rotor has broken due to bolts failure...dont really know how it can happens, i bolted them by myself (maybe this is the problem?).
                    The rotor pieces have damaged the distributor.
                    So it seems a rotor + distributor problem.

I don't think that it will solve the lean mixture issue.
                    The strange thing is that my spark plugs don't show the signs of a lean mixture.

Comment

Working...
                    X