Input wanted on these suspension set-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input wanted on these suspension set-ups

Rebuilding my suspension for DE's, AutoX and eventually JStock. New bushings all around, strut bar and new front CA's with offsets are a given.

Option1: IE Stage 3 race springs, Bilstein Sports, IE 25mm/22mm adjustable swaybars ($1100) Streetable

Option2: H&R race springs, Bilstein Sports, Susp. Tech 22mm/19mm rear only adjustable swaybars ($1100)Streetable

Option3: Turner Bilsteins, Turner JS Springs, Susp. Tech 22mm/19mm rear only adjustable swaybars ($1450) Streetable???

1989 Diamond Black M3
    2004 Jet Black 330i ClubSport

My ground control's are amazing, but I do not have any experience with the others.

Comment

I have driven a few of your option#2. It's not bad at all and streetable with firm bump damping (very "german" feeling). Get some camber plates if you can.

That said I still want to go coilovers and ST sways, maybe the H&R sways.
      Steve
      "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

I am leaning towards the IE setup. The coils are very progressive and the HD sways control the body lean in corners. Theoretically should handle rough surfaces better (ever been on Nelson Ledges?) but be stiff enough for good turn-in. That being said I think the Turner set-up is the same just a little more stiff right from the start.

1989 Diamond Black M3
        2004 Jet Black 330i ClubSport

Comment

Keep in mind the larger sway bars like IE's will reduce the independent nature of our suspension design. I would rather go stiffer spring rate than bigger sway bars. Otherwise it'll be like a solid axle with leaf springs.

I'm running option #2 with custom valving. The H&R race springs are not that stiff. The stiffness comes from the compression damping of the Bilsports. I like my current setup.

Pat
          Pat

Comment

Originally posted by bre513 View Post

Option3: Turner Bilsteins, Turner JS Springs, Susp. Tech 22mm/19mm rear only adjustable swaybars ($1450) Streetable???

I have this setup and it's stiff on the streets of NY but once I'm out on the highway it hardly ever skips my Alpine indash CD.

Make sure you get ALL the reinforcements welded in, with the additional triangulated trailing arm tabs. Things break when you jump rumblestrips, but I think that would hold true for any setup.........

I've driven on and off the track with the Turner J-stock kit since 04 and can say putting up with bouncing around on the streets is worth the way it handles at the track.

Comment

Matt, why can't you keep that inside tire down!?

Comment

Working...
              X