Clear bra....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear bra....

What are everyone's thoughts on putting a clear bra on a re-paint?
    Webb
    1988 Diamantschwarz
    2004 Jet Black

search

Comment

I think it's called Starshield. But i like the thought of a clear bra! :ha:
      Last edited by MTree; 12-10-2007, 04:43 AM.

Comment

My Lotus Elise has the Starshield (I call it a clear bra). It works well as far as protecting the paint from pitting and bugs, but the bra itself pits more than the paint itself and bugs still need to be scrubbed off. The other down side is it creates a bad orange peel effect so it would really stand out on a black car. People always told me I had a scratch across my hood but it really was just the edge of the bra. I've heard horror stories of the bra pulling the paint off of the body when trying to replace the clear bra. It's kinda like a plastic slip cover for your sofa. Sure your sofa will be protected but is it really worth it? Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't have the Lotus with out it but don't expect the bra to be crystal clear after a while.
        1991 E30 M3
        2007 Jeep Commander Overland
        2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

clearbramac is developing a layout specifically for the E30 M3. He has a prototype that I saw at SIG Fest and is coming along nicely. Maybe he will chime in and tell you the pros/cons of the material he is using.

In terms of putting a clear bra on a repaint, you will have to wait a bit before even applying it to the car. Many people apply it after the repaint and have had no problems.

Comment

Funny that someone just brought this up.

I just send an email to Lamin-x asking them if they were interested in creating a layout for the E30 M3. Don't know what the price would be but I am guessing around $500.

Anyone know a source that already has a layout for our car.

My car is getting painted right now, and for what it is costing, I will get the clear bra.

Matt
            -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
            http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
            PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Bottom of second page.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ight=clear+bra

Comment

Yeah that would be terrible if the clear stuff rips up the paint OUCH!!!!!!!

Comment

Putting clear bra material on fresh paint is ok if the paint's been baked, if not you should wait 2 months. This is based on what VentureShield recommends.
                  Mac
                  02 M3, 88 M3, 86 911 Turbo
                  My old car, 92 GTI G60Turbo

Comment

Mac, Any updates on your project to get a pre-cut E30 M3 clear bra going?

What prices are we looking at, and when might it be available?
                    Matt
                    -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                    http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                    PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Originally posted by ClearbraMac View Post
                      Putting clear bra material on fresh paint is ok if the paint's been baked, if not you should wait 2 months. This is based on what VentureShield recommends.
                      Mac

Even after baking I'd wait 3 months.

Comment

Guys,
                        I'm getting ready to digitize my bumper patterns next week. I'm sorry it's taking a while, we have been busy and my mother's heath is failing and she's under hospice care. Price wise I'm thinking it's going to be in the $400 range for the hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper. I also have pieces for the running board and the area between the door and the rear wheel opening, up to the first crease, these pieces may add another $100. The hood piece goes back 14" in the center and 12" on the sides as does the fender pieces. The bumper is almost entirely covered, even under the part of the bumper that juts out forward, the only part that's not is where the black/red stripe goes. The only problem with this stuff is that it's not a DIY type application job. You would need to find a local installer, although, if several cars and an acceptable facility could be provided we'd be willing to travel. We'd have to charge around $800 for the whole package (including the side pieces, installed), $700 w/o side pieces. This is a very time consuming job, it took me 4 hours just to do the bumper because I designed the pieces (7) to give extensive coverage. I took great care in setting up the patterns for this car, I plan to own an E30 M3 for the rest of my life. I wish I'd had the opportunity to show my clear bra to more people at the SIG fest because this is a difficult thing to describe with words or even with pictures. I think Chutrain knows what I mean. I drove my car from Cincinnati to the SIG fest in NJ and back and gained zero nicks during my 1500 mile trip in horrible rainy conditions.
                        We hope to have the patterns ready at the beginning of the year.
                        Mac
                        For more information about clear bras check out our site:
                        www.appclearbra.com
                        Last edited by ClearbraMac; 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

E30 M3 Owners,

The clear bra patterns are digitized, test fitted and ready to go.

I plan to attend the SigFest so that the patterns can be seen.

The prices plus shipping are:

HOOD KIT-hood, fenders, mirrors $150.
                          BUMPER KIT 200.
                          BUMPER KIT W/ EVO SPOILER 250.
                          EVO SPOILER ONLY 75.
                          SIDE SKIRT KIT 150.
                          DOOR CUPS - FREE with any purchase

10% DISCOUNT on group buys of $1750. or more

Please contact me at below if interested:

Advanced Paint Protection, Inc.
                          9321 Seward Rd.
                          Fairfield, Ohio 45014

Shop 513-874-9881
                          Cell 513-293-0885

[email protected]

Comment

great update after almost 2 years of waiting!
                            I am def interested !
                            when is Sigfest this year? Really looking forward to see this stuff

Comment

The SigFest is August 14th-16th.

Comment

Working...
                              X