no go 4 the blow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no go 4 the blow!

left my blowers on full when the car was parked for 10 minutes to dry out some wet carpet! it made a few horrible noises now wont work at all on any speed!
    the lights on the speed control dial seem to have gone out aswell. checked all the fuses, seem ok (which fuse is for the blower by the way? ).

any ideas?
    cold here in old england!

dead blower motor?? heater core? is it that there is no air comming out or is the air just cold?
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

New blower required. There should be a blown fuse F20 (30A) serves the HVAC.

m

Comment

All of the bad blower motors I've seen had worn brushes that caused the motor to run intermittently first before completely dying. Try it again sometime on full blast and if it should work then you know the motor itself is on it's way out. Cleaning out the resistor pack coils works wonders too. This is assuming the fuse is okay.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

ok u wont believe this now. but the 3 and 4 speed settings have started working!? blows out hot and cold air.
          wierd or just a sign of impending death of the motor?
          How do i clean the resistor pack coils?

Comment

I have seen a resistor pack go bad, develop high-resistance connections, and not work, although they look fine. If you can get a new replacement that may be the best fix.

FWIW I generally don't use the "Max" setting for the HVAC blower on German cars, I have blown too many fuses by using it. On the M, "3" is noisy enough and moves enough air to suit me.

On the 3 series in general there is a thermal overload, I *think* it's part of the resistor coil pack, don't recall off the top of my head.

Comment

Could be the resistor pack by the blower motor. Pretty common. Though if I recall correctly it most often results in speeds 1 and 4 working and 2, 3 shot.
              Petro

Comment

Sounds like the brushes are worn on the motor. If the coil pack is bad or has corroded connections, etc. then the fan will only work on full speed (4) on the E30 M3. Try removing the pack, and resurfacing the main contacts. Contact cleaner wouldn't hurt either. I used a dremel on mine and it's worked flawlessly since. Try this first and if it doesn't work then look into getting another blower motor.

Comment

How come the carpet was wet?? Could be dreaded bulk head rust.

Comment

As per Marco....I'd be more concerned as to the cause of the wet carpet... unless you already know.

Schwarz 1990 Sport Evolution

Comment

not sure why the carpet was wet. im thinking that one of the drains is blocked with leaves and things coz the cars been standing. the floor is wet around the pedals but the slope which leads upwards is dry. it seems like the water is coming form the floor up? got myself a car cover so i havnt been in a rush to check but its on my list of things to do in the xmas break. is there a way to approach this?

Comment

does anyone have a diagram of where the resistor coil pack is located? My car is having the same problem

Comment

It's right on the blower motor behind the cowl. They are not electronic resistors but actual wire coils of different thicknesses. The board slides into the motor. You can take it out without removing the motor, IIRC.

Comment

If you pull the cover in the engine compartment on the firewall behind the engine harness outlet... 4x7mm self taping screws... This will expose the blower motor housing. you will need to remove the top cover. Then towards the firewall down in the center of the exposed blower motor housing the resistors live. Reach in and give them a good pull and they should come right out.

Oh you will have to free the plastic wiring harness bracket on the firewall that blocks the initial cover from being removed to get to everything.

That is te best I can offer from memory... I can do it better than I can convey it... Have fun!!!

Comment

Maybe the sunroof snorkel drain on the firewall behind the motor. Just my guess but it would be a simple fix and those are like freebies.
                              1989 E30 M3 DD
                              2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
                              facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Working...
                              X