Photos of Old Motor Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of Old Motor Mounts

Here are some photos of my worn motor mounts, which I replaced a couple of months ago (the first photo shows the old next to the new).

Cheers, Daniel.
    - 1987 M3 (e30)
    -- BeastPower Motorsports: www.beastpower.com
    - -Eisenmann Exhaust Systems: www.eisenmann.us

sweet lord, how many miles on them? track or street only?

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
      sweet lord, how many miles on them? track or street only?
      Street-only, but the mounts are probably the original ones, or something that has been there for years. My car had a rough life.

I think that the motor mount (driver's-side) in the above photos was over-stressed due to the passenger-side mount being a non-M3 unit. I don't know what it was, but someone had cut off the lower screw and rewelded it. It is a lot shorter than the M3 mount. Here are 2 photos that show both of the old mounts, with the passenger one on the left side of the photo:

Cheers, Daniel.
      - 1987 M3 (e30)

Comment

Possibly it was a converted 740i mount.
        http://e30m3performance.com/installs...ts/mounts2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
          Possibly it was a converted 740i mount.
          http://e30m3performance.com/installs...ts/mounts2.htm
          Good eye! That looks very similar. I suppose that one should use two 740i mounts together, and not just one of each as someone did on my M3.

Cheers, Daniel.
          - 1987 M3 (e30)

Comment

speaking of which, it's time to change mine! My car needs a little love this winter

Comment

No wonder when I bought Marie-Chie, Jacie & Apex Eng. mentioned that I would not be able to install the fan shroud because the fan would be hitting the shroud no matter how I would have it fit on the mounting holes on the radiator. Now, I know why...P.O. had the 740i mounts. Is this good??? Still learning all of the ins and outs of a M3.
              Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
              '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
              '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
              '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
              '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
              '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
              '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

I didn't bother to read the whole thread but I believe the 740i mounts will lower the motor about 1/4", which will essential lower your center of gravity. By lowering it, those with the mechanical fan will no longer be able to use them.

Comment

Make sure the heat shield is also still in place on the PS otherwise the mounts will fail prematurely due to heat.
                  "Never lift"

Comment

Looking again at the photo of my old passenger-side mount and comparing with the photos on Gustave's site, it seems that I did not have the 740iL mount. The 740iL mounts have the lower screw in the center of the mount, whereas my mount has the lower screw off-center.

I am still curious which mount was used. Also, I need to check this more carefully, but I believe that since the lower screw was off-center, the installer had to widen the mounting hole in the arm which connects to the motor from the front subframe. The problem I have now is that the new M3 passenger-side mount is a little squashed (see the following photo):

I have a new front sub-frame, and I will order a new passenger-side motor mount arm, which I will install in the future.

Cheers, Daniel.
                    Last edited by BeastPower; 12-21-2007, 11:19 PM.
                    - 1987 M3 (e30)

Comment

Working...
                    X