Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the grommets that hold the front license plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the grommets that hold the front license plate?

I don't need a front license plate in GA so I want to remove the two white grommets that hold the two screws to mount the front license plate. Do they just pop out or is there a special way to remove them? After I remove them I plan to put a new piece of black bumper tape to cover the holes left in the bumper.

I don't think the bumper taper will cover them. You get the bumps in the tape. You are better off filling them in, or doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
      or doing something else.
      HaHaHaHaHaHa, like water the plants?? Sorry Wil, it just sounded funny!

Comment

Originally posted by MTree View Post
        HaHaHaHaHaHa, like water the plants?? Sorry Wil, it just sounded funny!

Comment

The screws make the grommets expand and hold tight. Turn the screws almost the whole way out and then pull with pliers. Grommet should pop out with a little effort. Be careful not to bend back and forth too much as that will deform the holes and crack the paint. New bumper tape will cover the holes just fine although there may be a dimple. Just depends on how picky you are.

Comment

Thanks Andrew! I'll give it a shot. If I mess up my bumper I'll sick Michael Vick's dogs on you. Heh, heh! I think the dimples would look better than the grommets or tape over the grommets.

Comment

This is funny, I am looking for the grommets that hold the front license plate. Any idea of the part number? I can't locate it on Real Oem

Comment

Yeah I had to put front plates on my cars when I moved to Virginia. I hate them. I seriously considered not putting them on. I think I cried a little when I screwed holes into my WRX's pristine front bumper.

The grommets are 51181852299 or 51181973549. One is black and "shorter" the other is white. I didn't know which was which when I ordered so I got some of each. They're like 25 cents a piece. I'm not at home right now or I'd check for you. Sorry.

Comment

I know, I am so unhappy about putting the plate on, but, in Washington you have to have it. So I might as well mount it correctly.

Thank you for the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                  X