Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best streetable chip for MAXX

Hello all,

First off, I would like to wish everyone a happy holiday and I hope everyone is enjoying the winter.

I am in search for a chip that will work better than my JC for street driving. With the MAXX A/N and the airbox that goes with it, I have lost some stop and go driveability. The best way to explain it is its more like having a lightweight flywheel, you have to "rev and catch" more.

I am after a chip with more advanced timing down low. Like a chip with no timing value below 20. Stocks lowest is 17 I believe.

I looked into changing the FQS to add some timing, but I do not think this is the right approach.

I have had a few very knowledgeable people look at my fueling map and they all have agreed on the need for timing and the fact that it would really make the car easier to drive.

Am I after an Igomotiv chip? Are the timing values increased on there chips?

Thanks,
    Matt
    -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
    http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
    PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

I got mine from Dick at DSR. I believe it's a GIAC chip. He's a member on here. Pm me if you need his contact info.

Comment

PM sent.

Can you post a review if you changed to this chip what the difference was?
      -Matt

Comment

PM Luis "marques" here at s14.net. He makes the iigo chips and should be able to help you out.

Originally posted by marques View Post
        I can modify the FQS settings so that you get a lot of control over timing (approx. +/- 5 degrees in 1.5 deg. steps). Since you have Alpha-N, you can fine tune the fuel that way. This lets you adjust to different octanes and allows you to optimize timing for your particular engine.

-Luis

Comment

It doesn't sound like it's a chip problem. It sounds like a fueling problem since you say the problem started after you installed the maxxx...which controls fueling. The low RPM, just off idle area is very hard to tune and you might just have to spend a lot of time tuning that area or live with it. I also doubt that timing could even have an effect on an off-idle, low load area like that.
          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Not sure what motor you have but with a 2.5, and MAXXX, shouldn't you upgrade either fuel injectors or Fuel regulator, would this help him just in the higher end RPM's or overall? When I had my Maxxx tuned for the first time it was pretty bad, I had to leave the RPM like at 2500 in order for it not to die on me. After some fine tuning, it was taken care of.

Comment

What is your idle at with the Maxx? I can't seem to get it below 950rpm.....
              1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

My idle is about 850, 750 with the AC on. It takes a lot of tweeking with the fuel map and the idle screw to get it right, mine is still not perfect, and I have never been able to figure out how to work the idle map in MAXX.
                -Matt

Comment

Idle speed is a function of the settings of the throttle plate balance screws and idle speed AFR . . along with the idle speed bleed screw . . . .

Driveability as mentiond earlier in the thread is a function of tuning the MAXX AN . . and I can not stress enough this needs to be done on a dyno. There are very few hills long enough to tune an AN set up.

Criss, car looks nice . . it's been many years since I saw it, sounds like it has evolved!

Mario L.
                  VSR1.com

Comment

My timing with a JC chip and Maxx seems high. I am going to swap chips to stock and re-dyno to see if the chip does anything at all.

- gabor
                    October 1987 build date.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                      PM Luis "marques" here at s14.net. He makes the iigo chips and should be able to help you out.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineRunner View Post
                        It doesn't sound like it's a chip problem. It sounds like a fueling problem since you say the problem started after you installed the maxxx...which controls fueling. The low RPM, just off idle area is very hard to tune and you might just have to spend a lot of time tuning that area or live with it. I also doubt that timing could even have an effect on an off-idle, low load area like that.
                        Well When you get to a higher tune motor you typically add timing. BMW thinks this way. Search the P12 timing charts versus the stock S14. Of course this has somewhat to do with running higher octane fuel, but when my buddy with megasquirt had this problem, timing was the ideal solution. Talking with a few people they say that they can make me a chip that will make my car better.

I have had my car on a dyno 4 times, and have 22 maps trying to solve this.

Matt

Mdriver: Please let me know your outcome. I am at 182whp with AN so far.
                        Last edited by Matts M3; 12-24-2007, 11:17 AM.
                        -Matt

Comment

I will re dyno next week.

With JC chip and Maxx, I am dynoing at 183 on a dyno jet.

Same setup on a Dyno Dynamics dyno gets me 161hp. Very very humbling.......

updates next week.

- gabor
                          October 1987 build date.

Comment

It is not the chip. It is the tune against the chip. John likes the JC chip. He tuned my car with the Iigo chip.

Work on your tune. How many hours do you have on it? And do you have aa summer and winter tune?
                            "Never lift"

Comment

I'm not an expert on the timing values of eproms but what you describe sounds like the nature of Alpha N. I'm not sure changing chips would change the "rev and catch" phenomenon you're referring to. Even if you fine tuned the idle/low rpm corner of the map. Since the AN is more like an educated guess, it's best not to bog or introduce too much load. I noticed this right away after installing the Maxx but it never bothered me...it's just different.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X