No announcement yet.

Best streetable chip for MAXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing to think about is that the correct timing is mainly a function of octane you're using, the and dynamic compression (the combination of static compression, valve overlap, and velocity supercharging). These are all things that affect the speed of the flame front. Installing Maxx A-N and an airbox doesn't change these parameters much so you shouldn't need to change your ignition timing.
    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Alright well I will not rush on getting a chip(gosh all I wanted to do is buy more stuff!!!!!!!!), I will spend some more time tuning and I'll see what i can get out of it.

On the subject of throttle plate balance screws... Is there a write up or procedure of adjusting these?

Matt
      -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
      http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
      PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

How can you change the timing on the S14 using a Maxx alpha N and JC chip anyway? I thought the JC chip and Maxx use the TPS position and then change timing from the ECU? There is no way to manually change the timing of the car right?

- gabor
        October 1987 build date.

Comment

No, but the timing can be modified in the chip or like said before, the chip can be modified to allow for timing adjustment with the Fuel Quality Switch on the ECU.

Matt
          -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
          http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
          PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matts M3 View Post
            Alright well I will not rush on getting a chip(gosh all I wanted to do is buy more stuff!!!!!!!!), I will spend some more time tuning and I'll see what i can get out of it.

On the subject of throttle plate balance screws... Is there a write up or procedure of adjusting these?

Matt
            http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/throttle.htm

Straight from the manual
            "Never lift"

Comment

CRISS... it took me a long time to get my idle down below 1050 rpm... Try leaning it out... a LOT... I think my AFRs are in the upper 16s.
              As Mario indicated..this is definitely a function of making sure everything is correct... Clean and adjust your throttles.
              I also used the Carbtune. I had my best success lowering the idle when i played more with the throttle plate balance
              screws than the idle bypass screw.

Matt.. You really should get to the dyno... I've spent one session on the dyno, then tuned on the road and still need to go back to
              the dyno at this point for some fine tuning in the midrange. Luis CAN actually modify timing in different parts of the maps, but
              you first need to get an idea of exactly how the car is running and make sure you can get your AFRS tidy in all possible areas
              on the map before you start playing with timing. Do lots of WOT and other tuning runs, and then when you are comfortable
              with all the AFRs, you can use the FQS for it's static timing adjustments and/or consult Luis.... I would not recommend making
              timing adjustments without being on a dyno...
              Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-25-2007, 08:17 PM.
              Mark Williams
              Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

My car has been fully tuned on the road and drives like any stock M3. It's a matter of tuning.

I have a wild guess here about your stop and go problems, but I have found this a few times when looking at other peoples AN settings

Make sure your Idle switch settings are ok. On the page where you can see the throttle pot settings are two upside down triangle with numbers on top of the bar which visualises the throttle position.

The first triangle is simulating the idle condition and should be lit up when car is on idle (value approx 33-34). If this setting is too low and the triangle is NOT lit, you idle can be too high because the BMW ECU won't know the car is on idle. (and will IGNORE any changes you make on the idle control page!)

If the setting is too high and the triangle is still lit up when the throttle pedal is gently pressed, the ECU will still see "idle" despite the fact you want to drive and WON'T inject any petrol.
                This can make the transition from runover to drive quite harsh and I guess that this may be the trouble you are having.
                Last edited by UweM3; 12-26-2007, 12:37 AM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
                X