Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juddery / rough start

I wonder if anyone can help.

When I start my e30 (cold or warm (although shorter when warm) it tends to be a little juddery/ slight roughness and then after 40 seconds or so it will sound perfect and solid. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I thought it may be a worn tensioner and was planning on replacing it with the one from the e36 evo (hydraulic type, this one worked wonders for my last e30).
    Parvy

Doesn't sound like thats the problem. The tensioner is mostly to fix a 'chain rattle' sound.

Off the top...I would start by taking the intake elbow off and *completely* wrapping it with masking/duct tape. Put it back on and see if thats it...
    I noticed this sort of behavior as the start of a super small invisible leak on my intake elbow. It's a free test and a good place to start; those elbows are a common failure point.
    Last edited by Sbailey294; 12-24-2007, 05:31 PM. Reason: sp
    Steve
    "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

Originally posted by Sbailey294 View Post
      I noticed this sort of behavior as the start of a super small invisible leak on my intake elbow. It's a free test and a good place to start; those elbows are a common failure point.
      Even if it isn't the problem, I would address it and install it properly. Drill and tap and put some RTV silicone on the joint to make a nice tight seal.

Comment

Thanks guys will have a look and let you know
        Parvy

Comment

Juddery running? or juddery sounding?

Juddery running suggests a misfire in a single or random cylinders.
          1,find out if the ignition wires are old or the outer sheaths have been damaged by the plastic holder.
          2, have the injectors professionally cleaned.
          3, new set of sparking plugs.

If it's a juddery sound, get the car warm them park it up an incline, nose up. switch off for 3 minutes then restart. If it sounds like a bucket of spanners for a few seconds, get a new hydraulic chain tensioner.

The KAT cars run in overrich open loop for roughly 90 secs so even if the car is in fine fettle, it will always be rough on cold starts and will drop the occasional cylinder at random until it is warm enough to run in closed loop.

m

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Its a juddery sound when starting and like you say it goes after approx 60-90 seconds. This happens only when its very cold, i.e. minus temperatures!

I will be servcing the car soon with castrol magnetec 10w/40 and a new timing chain tensioner (hydraulic), spark plugs filters etc.
            Parvy

Comment

Working...
            X