Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just bought 88 m3 and have a few Q's Altenator? What kind of oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG makes good stuff... I agree

Hey, I'm not knocking synthetic oils they are superior at what they do, but do your due diligence on this topic as I've seen motors blow up at rebuild with synthetic oil and dino oils are definitely on order for ALL machinist who rebuild motors... I am not debating the issue, as I prefer Motul and Amsoil (who pioneered synthetics) myself but there is an oil that is right for every application. My preface is that "preference" is what it will come down to. I will post the tech bulletin once I get it scanned.

This is what Amsoil had on the topic:
    Break-In of New and Rebuilt Engines

DESCRIPTION: Regarding the use of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils in brand new or rebuilt four stroke gasoline or diesel engines, it is recommended to operate the engine up to its first normal drain interval with a petroleum motor oil. There are a couple primary reasons for this recommendation: 1. New engines or engine components generate high wear metals to begin with and generally contain debris from machining and assembly. It is more beneficial to allow these wear metals to collect in an inexpensive motor oil than to circulate throughout the crankcase for extended periods in a synthetic motor oil. By operating the vehicle to its first drain interval with a petroleum oil, these wear metals and manufacturing debris collect in the oil and are then flushed out of the crankcase when drained. This allows for a much cleaner operating environment for the synthetic lubricant. 2. Within the first miles of operation, if there are any defects in the assembly or workmanship of the engine components, then they may be corrected before installing the more expensive synthetic motor oil.
    Last edited by ///schwartzman; 12-26-2007, 05:42 AM.
    Rich!

Comment

FYI...blipping during start up with indicator lights on is a sure indicator that the voltage regulator is due for replacement. You need to take out the air box to have access to the alternator. Also to dismount the alternator to have better access to the voltage regulator. Be very careful on the two small wires tied to the D+ (whatever that is). They are easily snapped from the terminal lug. One of the comes off, you will not be able to charge the battery when running especially when the rubber boot covers the teminal without knowing if there is full contact....ask me how I know....found out the hard way getting stranded in northbound I-15 under the University Ave. overpass in City Heights due to no electrical power drained from the battery without charging from the aternator.:shit:
      Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
      '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
      '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
      '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
      '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
      '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
      '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
        . . . and dino oils are definitely on order for ALL machinist who rebuild motors...
        That is commonly the case, and I have conventional oil in a fresh rebuild this very minute. However, I feel this to be more for cost minimization, as I change oil twice within the first 1000 miles with a new rebuild. The use of conventional oil with a fresh motor isn't necessary however, as OEMs deliver high specific output turbo motors filled with synthetic from the initial firing forward.

In fact, I have my doubts as to conventional wisdom with regard to break in procedures for a number of reasons. In fact, my own experience and observations lend credibility to this method:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If something breaks, either it wasn't built correctly, or, the incorrect viscosity was used.
        2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
        1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
        1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

^ Agree with MotoTune on the rebuilds as well Ted.

The BG product is GREAT. However, I feel that since the M3 shifts so much better with ATF then other MTLs, the Syncroshift isn't ideal for the Getrag. Always wanted to try though.

Delo and Rotella are great oils, AND are avalible in sythetic if you hunt aeround. I however do not like the 15w oils for start up. My car likes the 10W TWS a lot for start up, as well as the RoyalPurple. Next I will try the Redline 10w-40 as I had always run the 15W-50 previously.
          Last edited by Sbailey294; 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM.
          Steve
          "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

I agree with the break-in, I do all my motors that way... but would never use synthetic for break-in na or f/i. First 20-100 mi. then change the oil, again at 1000mi. (synthetic for f/i here is good) then again @ 3000mi. then switch to synthetic for a na motor just the way I like to do things...

I'm gonna do the 535i voltage regulator in the next week, I'll let you know how that goes.
            Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Sbailey294 View Post
              The BG product is GREAT. However, I feel that since the M3 shifts so much better with ATF then other MTLs, the Syncroshift isn't ideal for the Getrag. Always wanted to try though.

FWIW, the BW T5 in my SVO is also an ATF trans, and with the BG I've had in it for the past 25k miles, it's never shifted better.
              2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
              1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
              1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Please see my new topic on dead M3 due to a Voltage Regulator.
                Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Working...
                X