Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 or 3rd gen rx7

how do these cars compair?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

RX-7 would blow the doors off of an E30 M3. I've had about 2 years personal experience with several 3rd gen RX-7's. It is a lighter car, better handling, more power/torque, true 50/50 handling. 3rd Gen RX-7 is a phenomenol car. Both being driven equally well on a track, I think the mazda would come out on top.
    Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
    1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

I've never driven one, but the 3rd generation RX-7 is a faster car, good handling,and they are time bombs when it comes to the motor. There are so many of these things with blown/replaced motors it is unreal. If it werent for that fact I think I would own one (not in place of an E30 M3 though)
      Charley Terhune
      89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
      89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

Yup, those rotary seals are the major weakpoint in those cars bone stock, add some go fast stuff and they last about 20- 50k miles. With that said, I like those cars but it would never replace the ///M

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

I agree. If they're running... simply amazing automobile. But those 3rd gens just don't like to lose any oil and as everyone knows... blow their bits everywhere all too frequently. The 2nd gens didn't seem to be plagued nearly as bad, fun car as well. I thought about getting a 2nd gen as another toy - not a replacement.

Comment

There is a lot of misconception about why the apex seals on the 13b engine go bad. The usual cause of the apex seals failing is not running the engine for prolonged periods of time. Lots of these cars are not driven during the winter months of the year, or just not driven that often in general. If the seals are not constantly in use, they will fail. When the seal fails, the rotor will eat apart the rotor housing, and that requires a new motor. That is why the low mileage ones are always the ones with the replaced motors, they are the ones that are usually driven much less, hence failed seals. It is not uncommon for one that is daily driven to see 120k - 150k miles without a problem, and then changing the apex seals could be considered an equivalent maintenance to say, changing the timing chain on an e30 m3. Anyways, the 13b engine is not so prone to blowing up as long as you know how to take care of it properly. Not to mention, they sell larger, ceramic apex seals that are much stronger than the stock apex seals, and great for making huge power.
            Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
            1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

they are lighter? I didn't know that, what is the stock weight of both cars? I'm test driving one this afternoon, it will be my first drive in one, what should I expect/look for?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

alot of 3rd gens get toasted too because of overheats + warping...

i was gonna nab up a 3rd gen at one point because you can pick up 80-100k mile cars with hot, freshly rebuild motors (some with goodies like street port) for really cheap.

Comment

Used RX-7 guide

That may help you a little bit. The best thing really to do is test drive very many of these cars before making a decision. I probably test drove a good 20 or so of these cars before finding one I liked. I am fairly certain when I am able to have another car, it will be a 3rd gen rx-7, unless I need a winter car, in which case either a Saab Viggen or maybe an Audi s4. Hopefully the rx-7 though!

As far as weight, a 93 rx-7 r1 weighs in at 2695 lbs, I've been seeing specs of m3's weighing 2850 lbs, so it has a slight advantage.

Good luck with your test drive.
                  Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
                  1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

those s4's are dawgs... bein from utah and all i've seen and driven an ton of them... 0 fun... understeer is sooo bad, the nose might as well have anvils stacked on the hood. even the a4 1.8t's are more fun to drive when done up a little so they can compete and there 200 lbs less crap in the front end.

if i was still a crazy about drivin in the snow nutball, i'd probably buy an old audi quattro coupe, put a big snail on that old 5 cyl and order myself some snows out of the back of scca newsletter where you can get the full blown rally yoko's "snow and ice".

i used to have an a4 1.8t with all boltons chip everything except turbo upgrade and my buddy had an s4, i couldn't *quite* keep up in a straight line but in the corners and in the snow i could own his ass. i also had 4 wheel studded hakkapellitas at the time, he had unstudded blizzaks.

an s3 would be a lot of fun, bitch to import though.

what we do have as a family beater / auto-x car / let my little bro drive it in DE car is an evo 8... with 4 mods it went from 240 whp to 306 whp (manual boost controller, same boost as stock though, apexi afr, blitz cone filter, full turbo back 3" w/o cat)

ours is all done up with hoosiers and tien's for track use but with some studded snows it would be a blast i bet, way more fun then an s4 for sure... too bad the body panels are made out of rice paper and the dash looks like a boom box. oh well.

Comment

I know S4's understeer like crazy, but I am just thinking about a decent car for Michigan winters. Viggen understeers too, but that car is actually pretty fun to drive.

I've driven a couple of the UR-Quattros like you mentioned, I didn't really like them. They also understeered pretty badly. I almost got one instead of the m3.
                      Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
                      1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

I hear that you can drive the E30 M3 to the edge, I doubt the RX-7 could be without repercussions.

Never driven a E30 M3 to the edge, and haven't driven a RX-7.
                        I am stationary at forty miles an hour.
                        ///Mark Dowst

Comment

thats true with a lot of fast cars.. during the couple thousand miles we put on our gt3, i think we chirped the tires maybe 5 times, unless your on a track cars like that are so fast that instead of speeding tickets your talkin about jail time and a confiscated car.

Comment

eric, I've gone over this one a hundred times, I love the 3rd gen RX7's, but really, it's just not the car for me. The build quality of the M3 is most likely higher, and it is true, the motors do tend to be rebuilt on most of the cars you see for sale these days.

Just to play devils advocate, how many times a week do you see a post of an E30 M3er blowing his motor? Between roadfly, the SIG, s14.net and various others, I'd say there are about 3-4 blown motors a month, and that number probably goes up during the race season. So, even though we all like to think our cars are bulletproof, when driven hard, they will blow. Same thing with the RX-7, when driven hard they are more likely to blow. People don't buy RX7's to drive like wusses, people don't buy E30 M3s to drive them like wusses either.

Comment

Are we talking Turbo RX7 or the NA one?

I had one for a few years, N/A that is...

The power is very linear, and so smooth. It's hard to tell if the engine is at idle or redline. Really there is no difference! Power is good in every gear.

I never had it on the track, but I did one season of Auto-X on it. It was my worst year ever.

Handling... it's not "better" then the E30, but different. The tail comes out very easy, and it has poor suspension feedback. I used to spin it a lot.

0-60 it feels faster then a stock E30. The breaks are great, the bias always seamed a little off to much front.

The engine is super easy to work on, most things are easy to get at. They use 2 different temp ranges on the spark plugs. I used a little 2 stroke oin in my gas, these are rally 2 stroke type engines, they have no valves at all. There is also a intake butterfly that gives 2 lengths of intake runners to help the low end.

The fit and finish is MUCH less then the E30, the electronics are also crap, these cars have some gremlins in them! I was never really into the interior, it just always felt cheap. There is also no room for anything, but if you put a sub box in, they hit so hard!

What one is faster on a road coarse? There about even, I would say the M3 would be better overall on a tight course, and the RX on a fast course.

I traded mine in for a new Mitia R edition.

Do not click
                              At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                              X