No announcement yet.

E30 M3 or 3rd gen rx7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 3rd gen RX-7 as well as an 88 M3. The RX-7 would absolutely walk the M3 if they ever lined up against one another. RX-7's are supposed to run a mid to high 13 second quarter mile at about 100 mph and 5 second 0-60s stock. I also think the RX-7 handles a little better, but they're pretty close (stock to stock). The biggest problem I had with my 3rd gen was the twin turbo setup, which is kind of crazy (the '93s had some other issues as well). Lots of vaccum hoses, solenoids, and wires to make it work. Your best bet is to find a reputable rotary shop to get a compression test and some advice from someone who sees these cars everyday. Then convert the car to single turbo or run the twins together to get rid of the hoses and have some fun! Your insurance company will be happy to hear you've got one too.

I think rotaries received a bad rap mostly because they don't forget oil changes when the owner does. They're designed to spray oil jets at higher rpms to cool the rotors (which don't get cooling any other way). They need good clean oil and it needs to be checked often or very bad things can happen. Dealers have never been able to work on these cars either. They've replaced engines when a few hoses or a sensor could have fixed a perfectly good engine. On the other hand they can't run lean, hot, or on anything less than premium gas. Detonation makes a neat popcorny sound as the apex seals exit the exhaust. I think many RX-7 horror stories begin with owners who aren't afraid to get another month out the oil or want to save $5 with 87 octane for a while, so the maintenance history is important. Just some of the big stuff to check on the FD: paint, idle (should be ~750), oil pressure, coolant temps, boost pattern (if he has a gauge), smoking on start up, starting after it warms up, 5th gear synchro (try a 3rd to 5th shift), condition of the hoses and driver's door handle (they've been known to break). Don't expect super a/c, it wasn't all that great from the factory. Check the oil too. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to check the windshield washer resivour. The theory goes that if the owner couldn't take the five minutes to fill it up, how did they take care of the rest of the car?

The link posted earlier is a great place to go. The RX-7 Forum (www.rx7club.com) and No Pistons (www.nopistons.com) are also very helpful. Good group of people with all kinds of experience. Buy the factory manual if you end up getting one.

Good luck with your test drive!

-j0lt
    '94 RX-7, '88 M3

Comment

EVOIIIM3, You must be talking about a 2nd gen rx-7. There is no comparing one to a 3rd gen rx-7. The 3rd gen was a good 400 lbs lighter than the 2nd gen(thanks to aluminum hood and other things Mazda did to try to make the 3rd gen as light as possible). Not to mention, an N/A 2nd gen has much less power than a 3rd gen(the 3rd gen only came twin turbo).

About idle at 750, that is correct. Though, on a cold startup, the idle should quickly jump to 3000 RPM, so don't let that scare you. That is supposed to happen, it will idle like that for a minute or 2 and then slowly taper off back to 750 rpm.

Let us know how your test drive went.

j0lt, which car do you prefer to drive? Your m3 or your rx-7?
      Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
      1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

I forgot about the idle jumping to 3K on startup, I removed the AWS solenoid to keep it from revving my cold engine. The 2nd gen Turbo II's had aluminum hoods as well as the 3rd gens (I had a well built '90 TII before the '94).

I kind of prefer the RX-7 to the M3. It has so much more power and is just as planted in turns as the M3 (sometimes feels like more). And as much as I like the style of the M3, the RX-7 is timeless. The RX costs more to run and hates traffic so the M3 has become a nice retreat.

Mike

Comment

Those 3rd Gen RX-7 are sweet. I've always admired them ever since the Veilside one in Fast and the Furious. Are they all turbo/twin-turbo?? seems like it, which gives it about a 60HP advantage over the M3. For the money, it does seem like the better car I must admit. I've seen a few below 10K too.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

:surprised

wow, that is one hell of a car! here are the specs on the car
            104k on the clock
            $15k asking price
            black/black cloth
            it idled good just under 1000
            had a big 3 inch exhaust
            VDO water temp and boost guage under radio
            big chrome 18 inch wheels

the car kept 10psi in every gear. was s%!tface fast, and was very smooth.

only thing that scares me is it was bought from an auction, and it is a slime ball used car dealer. He wouldn't let me drive the car on friday (look young I guess) but I pulled up int the M3 today and he basicly handed me the keys.

I need to talk to my teacher since he can get cars from an auction. maybe he can get me a better price.

Is it the motor that is so expensive to work on?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
            they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              :surprised

Is it the motor that is so expensive to work on?
              yea, basicly every 50k miles look to drop a good 5k plus.
              "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
              onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

actually, they hold togheter ok if you use the ARP case bolts and a really good tough set of 3mm apex seals... still, you better be a bigtime DIY guy or have a huge wallet for rebuilds...

if you overheat them, the seperate case plates warp and everything leaks like mad, rotors can warp, end plates can warp, the whole thing CAN NOT be overheated, period. this is complicated by the fact that 3rd gens have very little front grill area, so by the time you jam in a huge intercooler, there isn't enough cooling area to get a big radiator and oil coolers in there as well. pettit racing i think sells a V setup where the intercooler and radiator split the air and are mounted on a 45 degree. i've seen others with huge fans... everybody has there way i guess.

when i was going to buy one, i was going to buy a spare motor for it and keep an extra ready to roll on the engine stand so when the time came i could just swap em out overnight and be rollin again.

the prospect of no valvetrain is fun though, my buddy spins 14k rpms with his 1st gen
                Last edited by pete98m3; 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pete98m3
                  actually, they hold togheter ok if you use the ARP case bolts and a really good tough set of 3mm apex seals... still, you better be a bigtime DIY guy or have a huge wallet for rebuilds...

if you overheat them, the seperate case plates warp and everything leaks like mad, rotors can warp, end plates can warp, the whole thing CAN NOT be overheated, period. this is complicated by the fact that 3rd gens have very little front grill area, so by the time you jam in a huge intercooler, there isn't enough cooling area to get a big radiator and oil coolers in there as well. pettit racing i think sells a V setup where the intercooler and radiator split the air and are mounted on a 45 degree. i've seen others with huge fans... everybody has there way i guess.

when i was going to buy one, i was going to buy a spare motor for it and keep an extra ready to roll on the engine stand so when the time came i could just swap em out overnight and be rollin again.

the prospect of no valvetrain is fun though, my buddy spins 14k rpms with his 1st gen
                  my friends shop built their first gen with a 13b and were spinning 14k-15k also. but the motor stopped making power at around 8.5k 9k.
                  "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                  "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                  onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

yeah it is totally dependant on how crazy you go on the port job, this was a whacko bridge port job. it wasn't really very streetable didn't really even start pulling until way up there.

his buddy does all his porting for him, kinda sketchy but the guy has a whole slew of 13b's making 700+ so i guess its safe enough :-p

Comment

my friend has a sweet RX7. i will take pics of it asap. he might be selling it to get a e55. no doubt the best condition RX7 in my area. these cars are VERY FAST!

Comment

Working...
                      X