Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Would you buy a cheap 1/10 E30 M3 R/C car body if I have them made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a cheap 1/10 E30 M3 R/C car body if I have them made?

Group,

I am one of those types that can stand to get ripped off. I have been searching online for a 1/10 RC car body(E30M3 of course)

NLA since 1993 for the Tamiya Schnitzer M3

Well, unless I want to pay $290 to a guy in Japan via E-bay for the clear lexan body or over $700 for a complete Schnitzer M3 R/C car kit with outdated mechanicals there is not much I/we can do.

Well I found this link while surfing that explains how to make the molds and in turn Lexan Bodies. This is the same technique all the companies use, just on a smaller scale.

http://www.radtrax.com/lsmold.html

So now I am thinking if I can get/beg/pay/shame someone with one of the Tamiya bodies to allow me or a fellow "Real M3" nut to make a cast mold I think a small production run would work:idea: !!!

From the description on other sites the original body would not be damaged by the molding process since it is just a plaster of paris type material used for the mold.

I don't know about all the original body details like mirrors or wing since I have only seen pictures but something very close and cheap is better than the original one you would never use on the street.

I have sent an e-mail to RADTRAX about doing a run for us, if he/she can do it maybe we can have a group buy on a Reproduction E30 M3 lexan body you can use without fear of breaking. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?

Anyone willing to help? I am not looking to make money on this, I just want to get one of these bodies without getting raped.

I will update this post as I have more info.

Well, I provide a body but I'd buy one if it looked really good.

Comment

I'd buy one if a professional made it. I've made a few molds for classes and perfection ain't easy. I'm also done with my purchasing of homemade products. No disrepect intended....

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I've got a NIB body if you'd like to use it as well...
        1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
        1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
        1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

If you can get it to look and quality of the Tamyia one, I'll be in for it!

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by Oddjob
            Well, I provide a body but I'd buy one if it looked really good.
            Your a good man, I will start shopping around to find a professional company to replicate them.

In the mean time, anyone know of a professional?

Maybe have them put an Evo 2 lip on it so that the pattern is diffrent so it would be an original, not a copy thus avoiding the patent problems, since it is just a wedge (Theoretically) it should be easy to add.
            Last edited by OnrailsM3; 11-14-2003, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I'm not a good man, I can't type. I meant to say I CAN'T provide a body... I don't have one. But I'd buy one if you made one.

Comment

:rolling:

if you look at the tamiya kit. there are very detailed pieces like the grill and mirrors etc. how are you planning to make those pieces? the body alone is just half of the way the kit is. i would rather pay extra to assure they look correct and save the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mfanatics
                  :rolling:

if you look at the tamiya kit. there are very detailed pieces like the grill and mirrors etc. how are you planning to make those pieces? the body alone is just half of the way the kit is. i would rather pay extra to assure they look correct and save the trouble.
                  L JAMES, your the good man here!!!!!

This project will definatly be done by a professional molding place, no homebrew stuff cause nobody wants that.

This is still in the brainstorming stage, so keep posting.

Your point is valid, I have no idea how I or we will replicate the wing or mirrors? My Idea is for the mirrors to be like a DTM type, so they will be easy to mold. The wing would be intergrated into the mold somehow, maybe. To make an injection molded piece (mirrors, antenna,wing) is big bucks and quite frankly too expensive for the 50-100 that will be produced.

I would think that a flat trunk would mold best, and you can choose a wing from another body kit to fit it. I would think that a stock wing that is currently in production in another kit can be cut/modified to look like our wing.

I am going to look for a wing that might work on some hobby sites, if I find something good I will cross link it and post a picture, please you guys/ girls look too.

My thinking is since it will be a runner body do you want to have things that can snap off?

I plan on getting mine up to about 45-55mph or so, I have seen and owned cars that can do it and when they flip it is ugly.

If you want a body for a car that is going to sit on the shelf, then the Tamiya is the way to go.

Does anyone else share my enthusiasm for a body that is cheap enough to trash and buy again or are we looking for a "Show" body?
                  Last edited by OnrailsM3; 11-15-2003, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I would get in on it if it wasn't too expensive. I've got a Tamya car and I bought an E46 body to drive it. :-(
                    1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Originally posted by ///CRISS
                      I would get in on it if it wasn't too expensive. I've got a Tamya car and I bought an E46 body to drive it. :-(
                      Well if I can pull this body project off, you will have a nice E30M3 body for that bad boy.

Comment

You could have used mines but I recently sold both tamiya m3's
                        for $250.Mine had some rash on them from actually playing with them
                        Can't believe what they are going for.I would never pay $400+ for a
                        r/c car that goes 12-15mph.

You can get 1/5 scale bodies for $160 like these on my fg gas car.
                        How much would you be selling the 1/10th scale bodies for?
                        Last edited by Mpowernyc; 11-16-2003, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I want the 1/5th scale body, where can I get it?

Comment

I would buy some how is this going.

Ty
                            http://www.europeanplates.com S14.net 10% Code: s14

http://www.europeanplates.net Build and Preview plates

Comment

I did some research on the 1/5 scale cars. Holy crap, it would be well over $1000 to get one up and running with all the gear.

So back to the 1/10 scale body. I think I am going to give Tamiya a call and use my powers of persuasion on them.

I will let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X