whatsup again guys, i've got an e30 hot rod questoin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whatsup again guys, i've got an e30 hot rod questoin

this is old school pete from dtm, for those of you who have been around for a pretty long time... just a fyi.

ok... i've gotten myself back sorta out of shit with my parents and me and my dad were talking about buying (or building really) a car to replace my GTI 16 valve... the two options, and read both carefully before you comment please, are as follows

e30 m3... buy one with mid miles, put a hot set of cams, headers, whatever the few things are to really "wake up" the motor, i'm not all that familiar with s14s yet... we'd even go so far as to put some fresh high CR pistons and rings in it probably. Do a nice little set of coilovers, some SSR comps or similar stupidly light wheel with some dot-r compounds like kumho victoracers or yoko a032r's as my street tires... un shaved odviously. strip out the interior put a 4 point autopower cage with 2 race buckets. that would be my daily driver.

orrr

in my basement, we have... everything to build a 300+ hp, NA, 3.2L porsche flat 6, including headers, a set of big webbers (44's), magnesium cases, the whole bit.

so.. we were thinking buy a nice 72 or 73 911 e shell that has no motor, (but no rust), build that fresh motor, GUT it (think 2000lbs street legal), and put a strong but not grenade around 320 or so hp street motor in it, same deal 2 race buckets and a cage, plexi windows, the whole deal.

don't freak on me that i can't drive them on the street because i've already owned an old porsche that was basically full race, and pracicality has 0 meaning to me i need room for me, my girlfriend (who didn't mind climbing in through my old fulllll cage so a 4 point won't bother her) and an overnight bag, either car will do just fine for that.

my issues really are... I loveeeee old porsches and driving them... the "sudden oversteer" issue is something i love about them. its great for making passengers look like fester from the adams family. but a e30 m3 is supposed to be a lot of fun to drive as well, and the e30 would be "more" streetable... ie the old 901 gearbox i'd have in the porsche is a bit of a beast, the clutches are pshcyo in those early cars, you can't even fart without accidentally changing lanes... the e30 is still gonna be a bit more civilized.. so whats everybodys take on it...

also cost is a bit of an issue i can build the porsche cheaper then the e30 probably.

Hmm, interesting choices. Having never driven an old Porsche like that, it would be difficult to say. But, if it feels anything like my R5 turbo(also 1900 lbs, rear weight bias), I would say you would probably have more fun driving the 911. Mid/rear engine cars have awesome turn-in. However, the near-perfect balance of the M3 is also awesome and I feel like I can push the M3 a lot harder on the street than the R5(albeit the limit is higher on the R5). That's because it is very predictable in its cornering and really inspires the driver. It's a very different feeling. In the R5 you have an edgey, nervous, exciting feeling, it's like watching a horror movie waiting for something bad to happen at any time. On the other hand, the M3 is predictable and gives the driver a much more secure feeling, a feeling of being in control.

Another thing to think about, it would be very hard to get 320 N/A horsepower out of the s14 engine, and an M3 is certainly a heavier car.

I think a 911 would be more fun to drive personally, because I like those edgey cars. If civility has no bearing on your decision, that would probably be the better approach, especially if it is cheaper. However, you may find it fun to have a car that you feel like you can safely push on the street like the M3. Its something you would have to decide. (M3 is my daily driver, as long as the weather is nice, R5 is my car that sees very occasional use, so I have the best of both worlds).
    Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
    1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

Sounds like the Porsche is the way to go in your situation. A low 70k or so M3 in good shape will run you about 8-11k plus all the go fast parts you mentioned sounds like another 5k or so. Since you already have all the parts to build the Porsche, you might as well do it, not to mention you enjoy driving it.

The M3's are a blast to drive and is way more civilized on the street, but we do have to maintain our cars if we want them to be reliable. Maybe you and your dad should find an M3 and take a test drive in it to gauge it by your butt dyno and see how you guys like it.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

yeah, thats what i've been craving is a drive in one... even a ride at the limit... edgyness doesn't bother me i actually love it, on weekends i'm either running a 125 shifter or a formula scca :-p

those big blister fenders on the e30 are just so neat tho... but so are the huge front light fenders on an early porsche and that loud beat of a flat 6...

grumble hahah *torn*

i've been pondering this for about a month now too is the sad part

P.S. you got any pics of that renault? freakin crazyness man i've only seen one of those in real life and it was well... not exactly cherry... if its what i'm thinking of it looks like a mini cooper S on steriods? i bet parts are fun to come across but probably good clean fun
        Last edited by pete98m3; 11-14-2003, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Just get an R5 Turbo! Most fun car ever.
          Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
          1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

Pictures

There were some pictures of my cars on that thread. Scroll down a few posts. I'm not really sure if that is the kind of car you would be looking for, it's a little bit more expensive than the cars you were looking for, but you mentioned big blistering fender flares, so I had to mention it! The fender flares on the R5 are the best.
            Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
            1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

I've taken mine to 130 MPH on the freeway before with the stock 2.3 and just a set of Eibach lowering springs and I've got to admit, that thing was no where NEAR it's limits, changing lanes was effortless and you got a VERY secure feeling as you did it. I wouldn't do that anymore , but that VR-4 twin turbo Mitsubishi was punking me so I had to open up a can of Bavarian whoopass on him

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

lol my old 911 S had the heater partially ripped out (it was jerry rigged to pass inspection nothing more), so when you'd go over 100 on the highway during cold nights ice cold air would start blowing through the old heater vents onto your legs... also the little rubber boot for the power kill (thatone had power kill fuel safe etc it was good to go for club racing) would start flapping against the windshield...

old cars are great, gotta have some character...

any of you guys live in utah or denver? i'm in denver at second creek from time to time maybe i could bum a ride?

Comment

id go with the 911. i know a great shop down here that has a swap just like what youre talking about. it rips.

btw, what happened to your gti, and what happened to your m3?
                  "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                  "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                  onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

got in trouble a long time ago, parents sold the m3... still have the gti, its tearin shit up as always... i just ordered a standalone EFI for it actually i'm debating turboing it, making power out of them is dirt cheap but i can't afford the clutch tranny and axles to match. who knows.

if i sell the 16 valve and do this i might buy a mk1 rabbit and put a vr6 turbo in it for somethin to do next summer. keep the honda kids from talkin too much smack. i saw a vr6 that needed rod bearings for 250 bucks on vwvortex... one guy i know is making 540 wheel on vr6 + stainless headgasket + arp bolts throughout (stock pistons and rods) and a huge turbo. he's running a pricey ass garret gt 40, i'd probably be running a rebuild powerstroke or 24 valve cummins turbo. lol

Comment

Well they will both cost you about the same to build and maintain.

The P-Car is fun, and people know what it is. There also a ton of support and fun parts for it.
                      The early cars are drivers cars, and can be very rewarding. They are also civilized to daily drive, just they have weak heating and AC. Not a lot of LUX stuff, then you have NO back seat and a small trunk.

The M3, is very fun, only some will know what it is. Almost all the fun parts are BMW factory parts ($$) and it's not hard to get 300hp out of the little S14. They have a ton of LUX options, a good back seat and spacious trunk. There also cheap to insure.

I think it comes down to what you want the car to do? Both are fun drivers and track cars, both are civil enough to dailly drive, both are expensive to maintain. Both have a great history and support. I do feel the M3 community is more of a religion./cult.

Do not click
                      At least it's German

Comment

Go for the 911, My friend built one and that thing is bad ass. heres a few pics of his 68 911 full race, and he does drive it around town with ease.....

Seats Taken...No one rides for free...:burnbaby:

Comment

nice, that motor makes it look soo evil.

btw, pics of that ghia?
                          "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

yeah, good ol set of webbers on there...

thats similar to what my 73 was... no stickers on mine tho.

my dad used to have a really hairball '65 vintage car. 10k rpm 2.0L, scarry stuff. freakin grenade motor actually, didn't blow up all that often but when it did watch out... one time a piece of rod blew a 3 inch hole in the mag cases :-p

but yeah that black one is basically what i want, or the e30 m3 equivelent...

thing is i think i can build the P car significantly cheaper because i already have most of the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007
                              nice, that motor makes it look soo evil.

btw, pics of that ghia?
                              Hers a few pics of that ghia. Its my friend with the 911's dad's ghia. It just recieved a 4" narrowed beam like what I got on my bus. This thing is pretty built but I don't know much about it. enjoy...

Seats Taken...No one rides for free...:burnbaby:

Comment

Working...
                              X