Suspension Technique Sway Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Technique Sway Bars

Anyone has experience with these bars? Does it make a big difference?
    Is there something better?

Goodies for my car next season:

Quaife LSD
    4.10 final drive(I have a 3.25)
    Turner Motorsports Camber Plates
    Maybe alpha N conversion or a SDS stand alone.
    Drevaen

What suspension are you running?

SB should be done last to a suspension to balance it all out.

Ok, I have these, if you get all the reinforcements added and some adj end links, there nice bars, mine are set full soft and are still a little stiff.

Some body roll is good for suspension loading!

Do not click
    At least it's German

Comment

I run Bilstein Group N spec (the kit came with the car) + unknown coil over rate. It oversteers a bit to much, but I think the Quaife LSD will help.
      Drevaen

Comment

I'd like to try the newer Racing Dynamics bar set. I believe they come as a 3 way front and 2 way rear adjustable set up where as the ST's come with only a 2 way rear adjustable bar and a non-adjustable front. The RD's are 22/19 like the ST's but I think the RD's use a solid front bar unlike ST which is hollow (at least the one I have is) so it's probably a bit stiffer.

I have a set from ST and a standard E30 set from RD (22/16). I'd like to set it up with the RD solid 22mm 3 way adjustable bar on the front and the ST solid 19mm 2 way adjustable bar in the rear. I also have a set from Ireland Engineering which comes as a 25mm hollow 3 way adjustable front bar with a 22mm slider adjustable rear bar. I feel this is probably going to be too much though. I'll try them all out eventually.

Cheers,
        Jake Larsen

Comment

I have the RD set on my car.. nice bars, I run the front full tight and the rear full loose. I tore the mounting tab right off the trailing arm when I added a rear strut bar, so it must help stiffen it up too... I think my bars are the 22/16 as the rear doesn't look very big... I will measure them in class thrusday when I have my car on the lift.
          Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
          '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
          '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
          http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

I checked the RD site, it doesn't even mention "E30 M3" so maybe it's not in their catalog anymore??
            Drevaen

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
              I have the RD set on my car.. nice bars, I run the front full tight and the rear full loose. I tore the mounting tab right off the trailing arm when I added a rear strut bar, so it must help stiffen it up too... I think my bars are the 22/16 as the rear doesn't look very big... I will measure them in class thrusday when I have my car on the lift.
              I dont think the strut brace had anything to do with ripping off the tab...it was just bad timing i think...

Ive had both sides of mine rip out...i need to really re-inforce them the right way this time...

ADA///M

Comment

I like the Ireland Engineering sway bars. I've had the STs for years and added just swapped to the Ireland front bar. It has three adjustment positions, is hollow (saving a few pounds) and is 25 mm in diameter. It can be set stiffer / softer than ST. Their rear bar is continuously adjustable via sliders and has excellent reinforced chassis mounts.

Stan

Comment

ive been in the market for some ST sway bars or any aftermarket ones, does anybody have on while we are on the topic?

thanks

(ADA///M, take this shit out of your profile)
                  Old School

Comment

IIRC, RD stopped making them for a while. Their earlier kit came as a 22mm solid front with 3 adjustment holes and a 16mm rear with 2 adjustment holes. This is the version I have now and it sounds like the same one you have Ryan.

The 22/19 kit I'm talking about is what's shown on the www.Bimmerworld.com site. I'm not sure why they don't show up on RD's catalog now.

I compared the weights of everything I have and believe it or not, the IE hollow front and the ST hollow front came up the same. I'm not at home or I'd post the results. I will later.

Anyway, here's a pic of my current collection.

This is the slider adjustment on the rear bar from IE. The link just bolts up in the clevis of the slider.

This shows the hollow fronts from IR and ST.

Just for gee whiz...

Take care,
                    Jake Larsen

Comment

do you want to sell any of those?
                      Old School

Comment

Nawh, but thanks for asking.

I've got 2 project cars I need to finish up and sell before I get to play with the M3 again. When they're out of the way and after I give the daily driver a little TLC I'd like to build a jig for these sway bars and map out some spring rates. I've been saying I was going to do this for years but I swear I'll get to it eventually.

Here are the results of when I weighed them using a precision calibrated scale.

.............Stock...............ST............... IE.
                        Front..19mm/6lbs......22mm/8lbs...25mm/8.5lbs
                        Rear...14.5mm/?lbs....19mm/6lbs...22mm/8.5lbs

I thought I remembered the front ST and IE bars weighing the same but the IE bar is actually 0.5lbs heavier.

Take care,
                        Jake Larsen

Comment

Do you think the IE bars are available in North America or I have to Import them?:rolleyes:
                          Drevaen

Comment

Hi Drevaen,

The name is confusing. :p They're actually located in California.

Ireland Engineering
                            2088-A Central Avenue
                            Duarte, California. 91010
                            (626) 359-7674

Phone: (626)359-7674
                            Fax: (626)303-7354
                            jireland@earthlink.net
                            www.bmw2002.com

The name Ireland is the owners last name.

I've talked to him before and did some business with him too. Seems like an alright guy.

<--Jeff Ireland

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                            X