Brake Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Issue

When I apply the brakes maybe 1/4 of the way down, it makes a clunk sound and i'm not sure if it's the steering column but it moves a bit. The car pulls to the left and when releasing the brake at that same point, it makes the clunk sound again. If I press on the brakes slowly it doesn't make the clunk sound but when I release it, it does. Has anyone had this issue before. TIA.

:lostme:Man if it isn't one thing it's another.:lostme:

Originally posted by LopezM3 View Post
    When I apply the brakes maybe 1/4 of the way down, it makes a clunk sound and i'm not sure if it's the steering column but it moves a bit. The car pulls to the left and when releasing the brake at that same point, it makes the clunk sound again. If I press on the brakes slowly it doesn't make the clunk sound but when I release it, it does. Has anyone had this issue before. TIA.

:lostme:Man if it isn't one thing it's another.:lostme:
    Go check your lug bolts for correct torque. I've got a fictitious $5 on it.

Christopher
    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Does your steering have any freeplay whatsoever?

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

I'll check these things. I had a SIG friend of mine tell me it might be the control arms.

The right torque is 80lbs right?

Noro, could you explain what you mean by freeplay. Thanks
        Last edited by LopezM3; 01-26-2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03 View Post
          Go check your lug bolts for correct torque. I've got a fictitious $5 on it.

Christopher
          :

I've got a ficticious $50 on the lug bolts as well!

Comment

check to see that your calipers are bolted down with TWO bolts each.
            James
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LopezM3 View Post
              Noro, could you explain what you mean by freeplay. Thanks
              I had a similar issue, in my case my steering rack had developed a small amount of freeplay, where a small amount of steering input made no movement in the steering rack, as a result when I would back up the car if let's say front left wheel had more drag resistance than the the right one due the brakes being applied a little and then the drag resistance changed from one wheel to another since the rack had a small freeplay it cased it to move to the other side just tiny bit and caused a clunk, all this while I was firmly gripping the wheel. I doubt this is what you have and I know I probably am not explaining this well enough.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

check the the mounting of the front anti-roll bar (sway bar) and the links attaching the bar to the front struts. Perhaps the joints inside the links are worn out.
                Check every joint in the whole suspension for wear and check the tightness of every nut & bolt.

Comment

make sure the calipers are tight & the anti-rattle clips are installed.
                  are you using the correct pads?
                  chk. lower control arm bushings& ball joints..

Comment

I had my bro-in-law drive it while I stood outside, when he applied the brakes the wheels lunged back then forward and you could really hear the clunking sound. But I didn't have much time to take a look at it this weekend. I will check everything everyone suggested and I'll let you know what I find.

The pads I've had for about 2years, they are metal masters and never had an issue. The anti-rattle clips are installed, I had to save them to stop the rubbing with the RS rims. I could have sworn I replaced the bushing with poly urethane bushings when I did my GC setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X