The Case of the Engine Mount a novel by France320isco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case of the Engine Mount a novel by France320isco

In the last 2 years i've tryied a couple of different engine mounts.
    These are the result of my private statistics:

The 740iL engine mounts by Phd Gustave are too low and the engine interfere with other parts in the engine bay causing rattling especially on the bends.

The e-bay yellow eurethane engine mounts purchased via ebay melted off on the exhaust side (heat shield present) for two times about two month after they were installed (the first and his replacement, both dead).

Now i'm back to stock, waiting to try the vorshlag ones.

I do not own an m3 2.3 but a 192Hp 2.0 s14b20.
    power is nothing without drift

LOL... maybe it should be called a novellette but I know what you mean!

I have the Vorshlag mounts and am very happy with them thus far. My car is a track car and I went with the nylon version.
    Mark Williams
    Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
      LOL... maybe it should be called a novellette but I know what you mean!

I have the Vorshlag mounts and am very happy with them thus far. My car is a track car and I went with the nylon version.
      Well i will buy the poly ones.
      Just not now, i'm fed up jacking the car up and down, i've also to go to work sometimes, you know.
      They all seem to be really well reinforced in the upper part so i'm confident that those aluminum plates will be a good heat sink.
      Are they lower or higher than the stock ones?

Comment

There are a number of threads out there that this could have been added too. If you have a subject that you want to discuss, and it's been discussed a few hundred times already, please just add to an existing thread.

With that said...

I've used BMW Grp N mounts with great success. No thinking, they just work, and keep working.

Also, its worth saying that only BMW supplies Grp N mounts. I can't remember the name of the company, but there is someone out there producing urethane bushings and calling them Grp N. These are NOT Grp N mounts.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          There are a number of threads out there that this could have been added too. If you have a subject that you want to discuss, and it's been discussed a few hundred times already, please just add to an existing thread.

With that said...

I've used BMW Grp N mounts with great success. No thinking, they just work, and keep working.

Also, its worth saying that only BMW supplies Grp N mounts. I can't remember the name of the company, but there is someone out there producing urethane bushings and calling them Grp N. These are NOT Grp N mounts.

Jake
          Thank you super moderator and also like me 320is user in an M3 forum: Yeah, yeah i'm aware about the groupN mounts and i also know were i can found them there are a lot of websites where they sell it.
          I opened the 101st mounts thread cause i didn't find threads where someone was talking about his negative experiences SPECIFICALLY with 740iL/eurethane mounts.
          Obviuosly positive feedbacks are important, but also negative cases, like mine: just to say: "Be aware that it can happens" without questioning the personal choices or the quality of the products/choices however.

I can add that maybe i was not so lucky in the search here!
          Last edited by france320isco; 02-02-2008, 12:09 AM.

Comment

No problem fellow 320is lover. : Showing a different opinion in a thread which is one sided with people who like the 740 mounts is a good thing; gives another perspective. That way later when someone else is searching they can maybe find one thread that gives several opinions, instead of reading one and thinking that everybody likes it. Know what I mean?

Jake

Comment

How much lower do they drop the engine? Just curious because I need to lower mine.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by peteinjapan View Post
                How much lower do they drop the engine? Just curious because I need to lower mine.

Pete
                Here's a before/after adding the 740 mounts on my car

Comment

Well...I just bought a set of 745 mounts for my car. I have about 3/4" between my airbox and the hose connector on my MC. I guess it will be a LOT closer now.
                  JD
                  88M3 henna

73T100C
                  97 540\6-Gone
                  2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

So why do you people not just shim it up? Is the threaded stud too short for that?

Well, all I can say is ice hockey pucks....(but that is probably to low tech for the most here :udone

Last edited by UweM3; 02-02-2008, 06:41 AM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I always wanted to try that Uwe.
                      I tried making motor mounts out of about3 different types of rubbers and plastics.
                      Before I finally went solid ally mount,,, that was going to be my next try, hockey pucks.

Cool to see it in play.
                      Cheers
                      jimmy p
                      jimmy p.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I also don't like the 740i mounts. Those along with the solid 6-series transmission mounts still wasn't stiff enough for me (light track duty). I also plan to try the vorschlag mounts this year, when I take the car out of hibernation. The response on their mounts has been quite good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                          I always wanted to try that Uwe.
                          I tried making motor mounts out of about3 different types of rubbers and plastics.
                          Before I finally went solid ally mount,,, that was going to be my next try, hockey pucks.

Cool to see it in play.
                          Cheers
                          jimmy p

this is actually not my brainchild. DaveG got me on that, he is using that setup for a few years now and never had any throuble, so I thought that's good enough to get it under my bonnet. If you don't thighten the bolts up too much (not like in the pic, noticed the balloning?) it's actually quite civilised. Only at idle you can notice it (bonnet shaking). I drive 500 miles one way to the Ring with that in a bucket seat and it's not even that bad. I felt more worn out with the Recaro SRD's (to my own surprise)

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I agree, the 740 mounts aren't stiff enough for me either. With the DTM shifter you really notice the drive line movement. I'm temped to go to a solid mount but I've always been paranoid about stressing out the sub frame mount locations. Sounds like you guys have had luck though.

Jimmy,
                            No worries about longevity/stressing the subframe? Did you reinforce any more than normal?

Uwe,
                            There is enough on the stud to shim the 740 mounts, that's what I ended up doing later. I'd like to try what you've done with the Hockey pucks. What did you use to cut the center puck? I don't think I have anything that could make that cut while keeping it at an even thickness all around.
                            Last edited by Mick; 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                              Jimmy,
                              No worries about longevity/stressing the subframe? Did you reinforce any more than normal?
                              Hey Mick,
                              I have a 1991 Grp A front subframe which is heavily reinforced.
                              Its not much different than what any individual could do with a welder and some cut metal,,, and a Turner reinforcing kit.
                              Nothing fancy, just good common sense reinforcing.

So far no cracks, no stressing I can see, not even a wrinkle in the powder coating.
                              HTH
                              jimmy
                              jimmy p.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                              X