Head Refresh Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Refresh Questions

Well I'm back with the M3 itch... car has been garaged for 2+ years ( I occasionally fire it up to see if it's still alive).

I stopped driving it 2+ years ago when I thought the head gasket was leaking. I've now purchased a compression testing kit and will do that this w/e.

Question: Can a stock head with 200K+ miles be resurfaced successfully? I don't know if there is enough meat on the S14 head to allow it to be surfaced.

Thanks!

Robert

Hi Robert,

You won't know until you remove the head and mic out the corrosion pits and/or warpage. If all is good, then yes, a 200k head can be resurfaced.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
      Hi Robert,

You won't know until you remove the head and mic out the corrosion pits and/or warpage. If all is good, then yes, a 200k head can be resurfaced.

Jake

Thanks Jake... I'll start wrenching on the thing soon to take it out. One more question, while the head is off, would it be worth while to install new rings while the head is out? Or would that be a waste of $$. Time is not a concern.

Comment

Well, if the engine has 200k + miles, I'd probably do a full rebuild if you're pulling the head. Installing a rebuilt head on a 200k bottom end could lead to smoking during engine braking (pulls oil past the rings). It's a can of worms really. All or nothing in my opinion.

Jake

Comment

Well, if the engine has 200k + miles, I'd probably do a full rebuild if you're pulling the head. Installing a rebuilt head on a 200k bottom end could lead to smoking during engine braking (pulls oil past the rings). It's a can of worms really. All or nothing in my opinion.

Jake
          That's the angle most qualified S14 guru's I've talked to as well... I guess I just want to make sure the head is flat so when I drive it sparingly I wont feel like it will let go (never track it only street). Spending $7-10K on a total rebuild is not my choice right now... for that money I think I'm going to buy a used mid/late 90's 540i. I love the E30 but not that much

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jake
          Oh.. another thought would be to pick up a used strong 100K mile S14 for $2-3K... if one comes available, I would do that in a heartbeat.
          Last edited by rhobando; 02-03-2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
          X