Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating

I have decided to get my valve cover and plenum powder coated. I have been quoted $100 for the job...does that sound decent? More importantly do I just go with the standard black thats on there? or I have actually seen a few pictures of it done in red that i thought looked alright. Opinions???
    Black
    45.00%
    Red
    45.00%
    Other
    10.00%

100 is a good price... i paid about 65 for my valve cover and 250 for 5 other pieces(one of them was the plenum)...

They just quoted me about 50 per piece and I said OK...so 100 sounds reasonable to me...

I prefer the black....especially on a black car...unless you have other red things on your car...but it my car wasnt white...i would've gotten them done in white(and probably added the ///M stripes later)

Theres a pic of my all black powdercoating in my gallery

ADA///M

Comment

I did my cam cover and air accumulator myself.
      I brought them to a body shop and used their bead blaster to take off the old paint. Then cleaned them up and painted them with Harley Davidson engine paint. When the paint dried about 80% I used a razor scraper to carefully take the paint off the raised letters. Then when the paint dried completely I used a palm sander with fine grit to polish them out.

The paint took 2 days to dry completely, probably because it has a crinkle coat finish. The only downside is that the paint is still a bit thin and can scratch a little too easy.

They look great, but the powder coating would look better and be way tougher, and for $100 you'll save yourself $16 for the paint and couple days work. Sounds worth it to me.

Oh yeah... I'd do them black
      -Mick

Comment

http://www.udm-motorsport.com/used/plenum.htm

I got mine powdercoated too...with the stock black crinkle finish.
        Pictures at the above site...click on picture to enlarge

i think it came out pretty good.
        Franklin Joseph
        04 Z4
        03 X5
        95 M3

Comment

Thats mine...not traditional crinkle with the letters machined...but i like mine in all flat black...i also did the coolant pipes below the valve cover if you can see them...and my sparco strut brace...but thats not on..

ADA///M

Comment

I did mine with a 7 can of VHT paint from www.frost.co.uk 3 years on it still looks great with no peeling.Frost also do a red crackle finsh paint too , that might look good

This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Ty,
              I am doing mine as well. My brother is a pro at this shit and has all the tools for it in his garage. I am gonna do a red crinkle finish and then some kinda offsetting spark plug wire color. To each his own. I will then bring the raised lettering back out and grind it slightly as per factory specs.

Mad Mike

Comment

I heard bead blasting was not a good idea as some small particles could end up in the engine? Maybe this is false. i just paitned my valve cover like the EVO 2 white with the stripes and it turned out pretty good... i'm leaving the plenum white for now as i don't want to spend the time to get the stripes on there when i'm just going to get a CF box soon anyway... you guys think that is a good plan? or should I add the stripes for the sake of perfection...
                1990 e30 m3

Comment

Bead Blasting is ok for the cover. I would not bead blast anything that has any oil or small passges where it may be possible to get blasting media into these passages. Black is a good choice of color and I have had good results using hi-temp paint.:cool:

Comment

I had my engine done with a custom color, all powdercoated...
                    cost $30 for each peice, and 45 for each of my wheels...
                    its a nice effect, with everything matching together in a unique color.

(wheel lips are now silver, much better looking with the contrast)
                    Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
                    '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                    '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
                    http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

excellent!! that looks great

Comment

Looks great Ryan! Much bettter than the blue.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Nice....but you should've done that coolant pipe too :borg:

ADA///M

Comment

Working...
                          X