I Need Some Ideas-Macgyver Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Some Ideas-Macgyver Style

So I was heading to the mountains and all is going well for about 2 hours. Everything went to shit rather quickly when I started decelerating in 5th gear coming into a town. I heard a clunk and the shifter was just flopping/spinning around. I thought something broke. I managed to coast into a parking lot and jack the car up to discover the selector rod has popped off of the gear shift rod joint. 30 minutes from my destination and 2 hours from home I had no choice but to try to rig something up to hold it together. I tried fishing line which failed, and then some 8 gauge wire which held up just enough to get to my destination. However I couldn't find fifth gear as I thing there was some play in the wire. I need to drive it back home, but I need a better temporary fix for the selector rod. Got any ideas? I am missing peices 17 and 18 in the picture.

You should be able to find an "E" clip from any hardware store that will fit. That should get you home. It looks like you could just sub in a washer for #17 also. Good luck!
    '95 M3
    '86 4Runner TDI swapped

Comment

A washer and a tack weld at a muffler shop would do it too.
      Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

i couldnt find a circlip, i was thinking about getting a weld done, do you think it could be welded and still be able to come apart for future maintenance?

Comment

get it welded..then upgrade to DTM shifter..:idea:

Good luck.
          Ogi
          :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

Originally posted by Dougy Fresh View Post
            i couldnt find a circlip, i was thinking about getting a weld done, do you think it could be welded and still be able to come apart for future maintenance?

Don't weld it, it won't come apart afterwards. You'd be better off trying some 2 part epoxy. Just put a small clump over the washer and let it harden. When you need to dissassemble it you can just chip it off.

Comment

If they do a small tack you can grind it apart easy with a dremel tool...
              Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                If they do a small tack you can grind it apart easy with a dremel tool...
                True, but you run the risk of destroying part 12 if you get too aggressive with the grinder.

Comment

def go with the epoxy... as long as your not baingin gears the whole way home you should be ok...

Comment

Local hardware store and get a small clamp like this:

Wrap some friction tape around the piece and clamp it on. Should get you home with no problems.

If there isn't enough room to clamp, then the expoxy is probably your best bet.
                    Last edited by chutrain; 03-01-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Vice grips for the trip home?
                      :cycle:

Comment

Bubble gum, paper-clip, and tape?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Why dont you see if there is a local bmw/teans/speed shop around that may have an extra clip around?
                          sigpic

Comment

Check the little hydraulic damper for
                            keeping the hood open, I think it has
                            a circlip the same size which could be
                            borrowed.

Comment

Originally posted by xworks View Post
                              Check the little hydraulic damper for
                              keeping the hood open, I think it has
                              a circlip the same size which could be
                              borrowed.
                              +1 Should be about the same size...
                              1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                              1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                              1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Working...
                              X