Thicker brake pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thicker brake pedal

Anyone ever make their brake pedal thicker to help w/ heel-toe?

i've adjusted the pedal freeplay as much as i can, but with my huge feet, an extra inch on the pedal would help. i'm sure i could come up w/ something if i get in there and start experimenting, but i figured someone has figured it out already
    James
    sigpic

I found that I needed to make it thinner. I replaced the rubber pad with non-skid tape and then added a plate to my gas pedal to bring it up. For me heel and toe ergonomics was much improved. Of course your milage may vary.

Jake

Comment

the stock setup is perfect for me. In an e34 on the other hand I can't even explain how impossible it is for me to heel toe. I don't know if its the heavy flywheel, the lack of throttle response, the pedal spacing or what.

the next track car I want will rely 90% on if I can physically heal, toe lol
      ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Thicker how, like wider or something like a normal pedal pads that's an inch thick?

Comment

Just get a pair of these and call it close enough :p:

Comment

My pedals are fine for Heel 'n' toe, but the revs don't come up quickly enough on the blip(Evo Flywheel).
            I end up rev matching instead.
            Hey! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot changed my avatar?
            m
            Last edited by Mmark; 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
              Just get a pair of these and call it close enough :p:
              :rolling:

Jake

Comment

I don't have a problem with heel-toe. Wouldn't making the brake pedal a little bit lower to make it more ergonomic.:lol:

I remember some cut into the brake pedal to re-locate to a different location. Was it Gustave that did it, or someone else?

Comment

when i threshold brake, the pedal ends up lower than the gas pedal. i'd like it to be even or higher. would almost worn out pads magnify the problem?

it's amazing how different each of our cars are, even with very similar parts.
                  James
                  sigpic

Comment

Something must be off. I find the pedal height perfect, but I have very little free play. I used to have a lot of pedal travel but adjusting the free play made a world of difference. Sounds like you've been down this road though.

What shape is your brake system in? Calipers rebuilt? Braided lines including the ones above the rear subframe? Thickness of the pad shouldn't matter but pad material can, what type of pad?

Comment

Originally posted by jht3 View Post
                      when i threshold brake, the pedal ends up lower than the gas pedal. i'd like it to be even or higher. would almost worn out pads magnify the problem?

it's amazing how different each of our cars are, even with very similar parts.
                      James,
                      I saw your car a few times this weekend but didn't have a chance to stop by and say hello in person. I have the same experience, especially braking for turn 1 (at VIR) where my brake pedal goes lower than my throttle pedal.

To deal with that I ended up adjusting my heel-toe method - I haven't tried adjusting anything on the car. When I was initially learning how to heel-toe I did the side to side method with the left side of the ball of my foot on the brake, and then tipping the right side over to blip the throttle. With that method I ended up pushing the throttle pedal down as my foot when down deep into the brake travel - not good. I imagine that might be what you're experiencing now.

What I'm doing instead now that seems to work much better for me is to put the full ball of my foot onto the brake pedal and then swing the heel part of my foot over to blip the throttle. I end up basically catching the right side of my arch on the left edge of the throttle pedal to do the blip.

A side benefit for me is that I seem to have much better control over the brake modulation with the full ball of my foot on the brake pedal rather than just the left side.

Anyway, that's just my thinking on the heel-toe process with a low brake pedal, feel free to ignore me. Good luck!
                      Dominic

Comment

Dominic,
                        You've got it right, that's how it should be done. Heel-Toe, not Toe-Toe

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic View Post

What I'm doing instead now that seems to work much better for me is to put the full ball of my foot onto the brake pedal and then swing the heel part of my foot over to blip the throttle. I end up basically catching the right side of my arch on the left edge of the throttle pedal to do the blip.

A side benefit for me is that I seem to have much better control over the brake modulation with the full ball of my foot on the brake pedal rather than just the left side.

Anyway, that's just my thinking on the heel-toe process with a low brake pedal, feel free to ignore me. Good luck!
                          That's how I do it, coming into a big braking zone I mash the brakes with a crooked foot so my heel is already hovering over the gas. Then I blip it with the side of my foot and heel by rolling my knee and ankle a bit.

I've also accelerated out of a turn with my foot sideways using my heel to push the gas so I am on the throttle just before the braking is done. Smooth is fast right?

I find myself with a gassing with a crooked foot alot.

I find I can feed in a little brake with my big toe on fast sweepers to balance the car without lifting. Helps keep the revs up and JBMike wondering why I keep walking on him in the turns.

I wish I had 3 feet.:(
                          Last edited by OnrailsM3; 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                            Something must be off. I find the pedal height perfect, but I have very little free play. I used to have a lot of pedal travel but adjusting the free play made a world of difference. Sounds like you've been down this road though.

What shape is your brake system in? Calipers rebuilt? Braided lines including the ones above the rear subframe? Thickness of the pad shouldn't matter but pad material can, what type of pad?
                            i've adjusted the freeplay as much as i'm comfortable doing. it certainly helped, but i'd like a little more. as another data point, the brake pedal sits below the level of the clutch pedal too. so maybe there's some room left w/ the freeplay, i dunno. all 6 braided lines, new master, stock rotors, hawk pads. i have not rebuilt the calipers, but i dont see how that would help

Originally posted by Dominic View Post
                            I have the same experience, especially braking for turn 1 (at VIR) where my brake pedal goes lower than my throttle pedal.

To deal with that I ended up adjusting my heel-toe method - I haven't tried adjusting anything on the car. When I was initially learning how to heel-toe I did the side to side method with the left side of the ball of my foot on the brake, and then tipping the right side over to blip the throttle. With that method I ended up pushing the throttle pedal down as my foot when down deep into the brake travel - not good. I imagine that might be what you're experiencing now.

actually, i modified my style the other way. i prefer to use my entire foot to brake, but with my 14's, i end up stabbing the gas w/ the side of my foot instead of my heel. with the gas pedal slightly higher, i put alot of force sideways agains the pedal (like pushing it towards the trans tunnel). it also causes me to miss the blip as it wastes alot of energy, throwing off my downshift.

i tried using just the ball of my big toe, and while i can blip the throttle more effectively, i can easily press on the throttle by accident. you know what happens there.
                            James
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X