No announcement yet.

Camber Plates: Vorshlag or GC hybrids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question I have about the GC units can be seen in this picture. You cannaot get max adjustment if you bolt the unit flush to the inside top of the strut. Is there any reason (other than raising ride height) for not placing spacers to allow free movement. My guess it would be less than 1/2" and this could be corrected with the adjustable ride height collars.
    Attached Files

1989 Diamond Black M3
    2004 Jet Black 330i ClubSport

Comment

Originally posted by bre513 View Post
      The question I have about the GC units can be seen in this picture. You cannaot get max adjustment if you bolt the unit flush to the inside top of the strut. Is there any reason (other than raising ride height) for not placing spacers to allow free movement. My guess it would be less than 1/2" and this could be corrected with the adjustable ride height collars.
      Only two screws?

@Jake, I just noticed that your top nut holding the rod doesn't reach the nylon ring in the nut.....

I am in the process of making some mounts for myself and have used M6 instead of M8 (but use 6 not 4) that gives you a little bit more range. I will use a larger spherical bearing (com 12?) with a stepped down spacer/nut. Can't show pictures, still at work right now.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
        @Jake, I just noticed that your top nut holding the rod doesn't reach the nylon ring in the nut.....
        Hey buddy.

Yeah, that was the best picture I could find on my hard drive that showed what I was talking about. It was actually taken while I was still assembling the 320is and the nut wasn't tight yet. It does engage much more once fully assembled.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by bre513 View Post

I see what you're saying. Have you checked to see how much camber you're actually getting with it pushed all the way over (regardless of what the marks on the mounts say)?

As for spacing it down to allow you to move it over more, the only disadvantage is lost travel. My springs were a bit too soft on my last set up and as a result I was using every last mm of travel. So in my situation spacing it down would have meant riding on the bump stops way too much IMO.

I tell ya what though, I've seen much worse (as far as limited travel) and I thought the handling wasn't too terribly bad. So sure, space it down and see how things go. If you're not already riding on the bump stops I don't think adding a 1/2" spacer would be too dangerous to at least try.

Jake

Comment

Jake,

No
            I have not measured the true camber yet. No motor in the car so can't get a true reading yet.

1989 Diamond Black M3

Comment

Here is a picture of the GC plate I've been talking about:

Charley Terhune
              89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
              89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ct_m3 View Post
                Here is a picture of the GC plate I've been talking about:

i saw that yesterday, i'd like to see the top of the plate

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

thats an e36 plate not an e30 plate.

Bre513, you can easily run 5 bolts with your setup. pull the two you have in there along with the washers. take a grinding tool and remove about 1-2mm of material from one edge of the washer (thus making a flat point). do the same to two more, and then they can but up against each other. (it will look like a figure 8). then you can use those other two holes. I recomend that to anybody not running all 4.

-Eddy P
                  ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post

Reverting back to the description that I copy and pasted on pg. 1:

Fits 2.5" coilover spring systems only on E30, E36, and E46 cars. Common spring sizes:

* BimmerWorld/Ground-Control - 2.5"

Does not fit:

* H&R - 60mm
                    * Bilstein PSS - 60mm"
                    Charley Terhune
                    89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
                    89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

I know they posted that on their add, but the e30 plate does look different. functionally the same, but the upper part is very different. sadly the photo shows the bottom.
                      ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post

Bre513, you can easily run 5 bolts with your setup. pull the two you have in there along with the washers. take a grinding tool and remove about 1-2mm of material from one edge of the washer (thus making a flat point). do the same to two more, and then they can but up against each other. (it will look like a figure 8). then you can use those other two holes. I recomend that to anybody not running all 4.

-Eddy P
                        That is not my car in the picture. :attention: I pulled it off the net just to show how you cannot get full adjustment if mounted flush. Mine has three bolts as supplied by GC. So I am assuming most don't use the full extent of negative camber???

Rob

1989 Diamond Black M3

Comment

Working...
                        X