Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Clutchmaster/JB Racing Kit. Annoying problem...anybody else???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironhead
    replied
    Bit of a tangent, but I had to add this....

I hate it when you have a clear problem with a product, you call the company to seek help, and they say "well, it's never happened before". The implication being that you are an idiot and they are blameless.

I rarely ever deal with companies like that again, if I can help it.

Leave a comment:

• strube
    replied
    Would this just be considered clutch "chatter"? I had a VW with an upgraded clutch/flywheel and had the same noise. Some had it, some didn't. From those that I talked to then, it was considered normal. The noise would only present itself at a certain RPM and would go away with the clutch depressed or driving.

Leave a comment:

• temple
    replied
    I posted a subject on this when I bought a clutchmasters and jb fly wheel kit from vac. I should have searched and read anders post. They also told me they had never heard of an issue. Some s14ers said that had the same noise and vibration on decel, some had no bad experiences. Clutchmasters said it wasn,t installed properly. We pulled it out twice, but nothing was wrong. I kept the jb flywheel and got rid of the rest.no noise on decel. Search clutchmasters and you can read about how many s14ers have had problems. Sorry to hear you made the same mistake I did.
    Last edited by temple; 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    Yeah, I ripped that piece of shit out and installed a Sachs Racing pressure plate with an oem friction disc. Same JB flywheel, no noise...

Leave a comment:

• S14 convertible
    replied
    Anders, Did you manage to sort out the problem? I have the same resonating sound under deceleration.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    More updates:

I can get the resonance to happen steady-state. When I apply some pressure to the clutch, but not enough to slip it, the sound goes away completely or mostly.

What do you guys think of that?

Leave a comment:

• m3pat2
    replied
    Anders,

I just listened to the sound file. I had similar noises after I did my 2.5 liter rebuild. I had gone with lower 740i engine mounts and my ST sway bars were hitting the bottom of the bellhousing. I would only get a resonance when decelerating and it reverbed through the whole cabin. It almost sounded like the rear end.

Also my rear end alignment was off which cause some noise. Make sure nothing is touching the belhousing on the outside. The bell vibrates at the engine rpm and anything it touches will reverb through the whole car.

Pat
    Last edited by m3pat2; 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    Originally posted by dynospot View Post
    Anders, you need to pull the transmission off again and inspect everything. Sometimes the oddest things cause noise. That is the first step. You setup shouldn't make any noise unless something is wrong. It doesn't appear to be even a resonance noise either. It sounds like something is too loose of contacting something that it shouldn't. Simple investigation will solve the issue.
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you think something could possibly be rubbing inside the bellhousing?? I know you have a great shop, Dick, what wierd stuff can you suggest to look for?

Leave a comment:

• dynospot
    replied
    Anders, you need to pull the transmission off again and inspect everything. Sometimes the oddest things cause noise. That is the first step. You setup shouldn't make any noise unless something is wrong. It doesn't appear to be even a resonance noise either. It sounds like something is too loose of contacting something that it shouldn't. Simple investigation will solve the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
    When building a motor or installing parts that have to do with rotational forces you should try to have them high speed dynamic balanced... I got that same type noise with a VW and it was the clutch/flywheel out of balance. I try to balance everything from the crank pulley to the flywheel together. Good to see your project taking shape Anders... It's alive, it's alive!
    I know that is true in theory, but what do you do if you have balanced everything and you want to replace the clutch? Pull the crank to re-balance?

I always thought the only thing in "the real world" that made sense was for each component to be balanced individually.....

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    Well, I'm bummed, because my clutch has a sprung hub and a marcel spring in it. Maybe the ceramic pucks act like metallic ones you're mentioning, Ted. Either way I'm not sure I can put up with it 'cause it's LOUD. I don't know if the volume really comes through on that sound clip...

I called PPF in Sweden last night. They gave me some good suggestions for options last night...

Anyway, here's my car on a good day:
    having_fun.mp3

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by JOEBMW View Post
    WoW...that sound is excatly the same as mine!!!

i have a 1991 318i, fully restored and i put in a jb Racing 8lb flywheel with a stock clutch and pressure plate though. when i first drove it on the highway, comin down from 3700-2500 it makes that fine noise. now i havnt drove it since last year but i check for metal touching and i didnt find a thing. i only soultion i thought of was the flywheel. i dont believe that they fully balance the Jb Racing flywheels, do they?

if not, then i will have to take out the flywheel and send it out to get balanced and hope that it is the problem.
    JB Racing does balance their flywheels...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
    When building a motor or installing parts that have to do with rotational forces you should try to have them high speed dynamic balanced... I got that same type noise with a VW and it was the clutch/flywheel out of balance. I try to balance everything from the crank pulley to the flywheel together. Good to see your project taking shape Anders... It's alive, it's alive!
    A few more weeks and it really will live!!
    Last edited by Anders; 03-11-2008, 06:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• Ted B
    replied
    (LOL) I know this sound. This is the sound of a metallic clutch with an unsprung hub. Or in the case of my Tilton Dual Disc, two unsprung hubs. It sounds like an annoying exhaust rattle, but it's typical for this type of clutch.

I doubt you are going to find anything wrong with it. It's just the nature of the beast.

Leave a comment:

• ///schwartzman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JOEBMW
    replied
    WoW...that sound is excatly the same as mine!!!

i have a 1991 318i, fully restored and i put in a jb Racing 8lb flywheel with a stock clutch and pressure plate though. when i first drove it on the highway, comin down from 3700-2500 it makes that fine noise. now i havnt drove it since last year but i check for metal touching and i didnt find a thing. i only soultion i thought of was the flywheel. i dont believe that they fully balance the Jb Racing flywheels, do they?

if not, then i will have to take out the flywheel and send it out to get balanced and hope that it is the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    A soundfile (mp3) to illustrate the problem:
    clutch_noise.mp3
    Last edited by Anders; 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X